Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commissioning a new Felder machine

Commissioning a new Felder machine

I'm just wondering if anyone here took delivery of a new Felder machine and paid to have Felder commission/calibrate it upon delivery? I know they charge for this service now and I'm just wondering if it's worth the money. I was told by the sales department that machines are calibrated before delivery but I wonder to what extent not to mention the moving around of the crate during shipment.
    thanks,
    john

You have just spent how much on a machine? Why would you not get them to do it, I can't think of a single reason. They deliver, any damage is their issue, any warranty aspects that arise are witnessed by them, any installation problems are addressed by them etc.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    That depends on the machine, they are in fact calibrated and tested at the factory but the larger machines need to be partially disassembled for transport and run the risk of losing their settings or alignment and it can be quite difficult and complex for a novice to set them up properly. IME it pays well to watch the mechanic over the shoulder to learn how to really fine tune the machine after he has left since he only adjusts the machine to factory tolerances which are close but not close enough for some of us more 'anal' woodworkers.
    I had my KF700S and the AD741 commissioned after delivery. I'm glad I did, I learned a lot just watching him.
    Also, David Best's "Unofficial Survival Guide" is very well written and provides much more information than any manual (Google).

I took delivery of several machines, CF 741 S combination machine, FB 710 bandsaw, FD 21 boring machine, and RL 160 dust collector. I opted for Felder installation, and I was VERY happy I did so. There were missing parts that only a trained expert would have noticed, there was additional calibration that brought the machines into very tight tolerances that only a trained expert would be capable of doing, and I got some training on use of the machines that was extremely helpful..stuff that would have been very hard to figure out and much less efficient of my time without the training. I will say also that the caliber of Felder installers that showed up was outstanding, one of the guys came from the Austrian factory, really knew his stuff.

Thank you for your responses. My salesmen is somewhat new so I didn't put a lot of stock in him telling me the machines are ready to go. Any idea what you guys paid to have them commissioned? I'm looking at an AD-741 and a K700P. Felder did say that they could notify me when they're in my general part of the country to possibly defray some of the cost but then the salesman also told me they charge by the hour. I'm still waiting to hear back from him as to what it would cost. I think it would be a good learning experience to see how they make some of the adjustments.

I've tried to get a copy of manual by David Best but it doesn't appear to be available anymore. I've emailed several times but never received an answer. The website is still up but I can't order it. All he has for sale on that site is a poster of the front cover of the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by John Adank View Post
    I've tried to get a copy of manual by David Best but it doesn't appear to be available anymore. I've emailed several times but never received an answer. The website is still up but I can't order it. All he has for sale on that site is a poster of the front cover of the manual.
    Does this link from the David Best website help?

http://davidpbest.com/VA/StonehorseS...-0%20Intro.htm

I don't have a Felder, but am going through a similar process for my SCM Holzkraft SC2 Classic (same as the Minimax SC2 Classic). I'm setting up a shop in my basement, and the only access is by a wooden staircase with two 90-degree turns. When I bought the saw, I had it disassembled before delivery to my garage because my shop is not ready to receive it. The weight of the saw was not the problem, it was the size. I had everything removed except the cast iron table and the huge concrete counterweight in the body of the saw. This reduced the weight somewhat, but made it small enough to fit down the stairs and through the two basement doors.

The cost to reassemble and commission the saw will be €200 (about $225) and will be performed by a factory-trained technician. If the regional SCM technician is in the area when I'm ready for the commissioning, he will perform the commissioning and the factory-trained technician will assist. I'll pay the same price either way.
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 06-23-2017 at 7:34 AM. Reason: correct typo

Thank you for your responses. My salesmen is somewhat new so I didn't put a lot of stock in him telling me the machines are ready to go. Any idea what you guys paid to have them commissioned? I'm looking at an AD-741 and a K700P. Felder did say that they could notify me when they're in my general part of the country to possibly defray some of the cost but then the salesman also told me they charge by the hour. I'm still waiting to hear back from him as to what it would cost. I think it would be a good learning experience to see how they make some of the adjustments.

The price for the commissioning is really based on where you live. I am in Canada, one hour driving from Felder Mississsauga office. Felder tech rented a truck, delivered the KF700sp to my address, I paid CAD$ 500 for the commissioning service plus the $300 local delivery cost.

If your K700P has a sliding table 9 foot or longer, the sliding table comes with a separate package, it needs to be installed on the machine and calibrated after the delivery, not a trivial task for a novice who never uses slider. Later, I did re-calibrated the sliding table by myself, cause it was still higher than the cast iron table than what I like.

It is good to have your machine commissioned by Felder tech, so any missing or damaging problem can be sorted out without any delay, and you learn how to adjust the machine.

David Best's Survival Guide is not published anymore. But if you have any question, just post in the Felder Owner Group, you will get prompt response from awesome and knowledgeable guys there.

James

OP, I noticed that you're in WI. You might reach out to Mac Campshure of Airtight Clamps...

http://macsblogboard.blogspot.com/

Mac is an excellent technician and has been working with Felder machines FOREVER. Best of luck with it.

Erik

Is the Feldsr Owners Group still active? I couldn't find it when I looked last year nobody really knew what happened to it

Thanks a lot Eric, I'll try and contact him. Sure glad I updated the state I live in on my profile this morning

Is the Feldsr Owners Group still active? I couldn't find it when I looked last year nobody really knew what happened to it
    You might look at the wrong group. It is active. You can email to Brian Lamb (blamb11@cox.net) who is the admin of the group, he will add you to the group.

James

Thank you James

When I bought my KF700 saw/shaper, I paid to have the guy set it up. He spent at least half a day, getting everything right. Expensive, but to me it was worth it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

This kind of service, while expensive, can ultimately "cost less" since it insures that everything is spot on from the start. As already mentioned, the nature of delivering large machines necessitates "some assembly required" and many folks are not up to the job of "dialing in" a complex and unfamiliar machine, at least on the first try. It's a no-brainer decision for anyone doing commercial work, for sure, IMHO, and a good idea for the hobbyist if the funds are available. I know it took me awhile to get my outrigger alignment setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do not have a Felder, I chose instead a Minimax CU 410 Elite S. I am a handy guy who has been around equipment for a long time, wood and metal working. I was so impressed with the design of my machine. You can adjust every function and it is intuitive when you look at the build. The machine was also very close to accurate off the truck and out of the crates. If you are very new to machinery then perhaps you should pay for a set up. If you have some experience and are into doing things yourself then save the money and do it yourself. It ain't very complicated and there are great resources out there.

People here are telling you that a premium piece of equipment needs to be set up by an expensive technician visit. Hmmmm.