Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there drawbacks to union welding jobs or are they just hard to get?

I'm fine with skilled work getting well compensated; much of value of this kind of work is easily measured -- a new bridge, or a pipeline or a building. Lots of very, very highly paid work in this country is of dubious value to the rest of us (i.e. it's extracting wealth rather than creating wealth.)

Private sector unions are a shadow of their former size.

Blog Entries
    Most people who complain about others being overpaid have no aptitude for doing the difficult or dirty jobs.

As a retired person I occasionally see a job listing and think, I could do that with no problem. Then I think about having to show up everyday at the same time.

I think I will stay retired.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I was a teen, I had a job cleaning a plywood mill on Saturdays. It was a dirty, heavy job, my job was scraping pitch off the doors of the veneer dryers. One of my buddies had to crawl through a green chain tunnel, pushing crap ahead of them. It took two showers to get clean. It did pay very well (for the time) and taught me hard work, even more so than growing up on a farm, with a gentle, but unbelievably hard working dad.
    Paul