Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools/ gadgets which you have impressed you costing less than $50

Yankee screwdriver . I have the one my dad used for years. I also found one new, in the box at a garage sale for 50 cents.

My son gave me one of these about ten years ago. Have only used it a half-dozen times, but was invaluable when I needed it.

https://tinyurl.com/y83f3q53

I find this l tool invaluable for vacuuming fine dust in the workshop

Note if you do decide to purchase one, first look on Ebay Consider the generic equivalent, search Dyson soft brush and Dyson accessory kit which may be a better deal

Also note there are some listings a rage of adapters with slightly different diameters or you could simple use a section of hose to form a sleave
    between the vacuum hose and the brush I live in the United Kingdom and I used a section of radiator hose from a car

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...son+soft+brush

Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-25-2017 at 5:03 AM.

Single pocket hole jig for about $20.
    Speed square.
    Digital caliper.

Harbor Freight (or any really) telescoping magnetic picker-upper-er.

Vice-Grips - the real deal made in the USA prior to Irwin taking them overseas.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Malcolm, which device? The cheapest I see is a 65 footer for about $60? (Which still doesnt seem bad). Can you post a link?

Thanks!
    Fred
    This maybe???
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-35-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Betcha so. Thanks Dave!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Yup- that's the one. Works perfect except at long distances in really bright sunlight.

I cannot live without a 6" steel rule in my pocket. I get them from Lee Valley. They have end graduations on them. I think they're $10-$12. Shinwa brand. A 6" rule is handy, but the end graduations make this rule the most used tool in my shop.

i have a telescoping magnetic pick-up tool stuck to the underside of my tablesaw front rail. When I drop my arbor nut in the saw I don't scream anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rimel View Post
    I cannot live without a 6" steel rule in my pocket. I get them from Lee Valley. They have end graduations on them. I think they're $10-$12. Shinwa brand. A 6" rule is handy, but the end graduations make this rule the most used tool in my shop.

i have a telescoping magnetic pick-up tool stuck to the underside of my tablesaw front rail. When I drop my arbor nut in the saw I don't scream anymore.
    Me too, and the four-finger pick-up tools are handy to have, especially working around vehicles.

Do you want to guess the only time I ever remember I need to order one of those?!

I've found this little Kreg tool @ $15 very useful for layouts on cabinets, drawers, doors, bookshelf units, etc. I have more expensive layout tools but find myself reaching for this one most of the time. The little thumb screw makes for quick adjustments.

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c49/l...lti-marktrade/

Blog Entries
    Quality 6" steel rules, saddle squares, double squares, white pencils, chalk, box-o-rags, my oh my the list goes on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

... magnetic pick-up tool...
    Years ago I was replacing the valve guide seals on my '84 Corvette. During the process a rocker arm nut slipped out of my fingers. Rather than tinkle around on top of the cylinder head, it fell straight thru a pushrod hole, nothing but net. Didn't think those nuts would even fit. My magnet tool barely fit, but it snagged that nut for me!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    1) I once dropped a bolt into my headers (truck work). I tried my telescoping magnet, but it was too stiff (wouldn't bend). I tried my grabber, but that was too much of crap shoot; I could feel the bolt, but couldn't grab it.

Solution: Took the magnet out of the telescoping thing and duct taped it in the grabber hands. Problem solved. Got the bolt.

2) I like my miter gauge angle finder from miterset. I could have sworn I paid $50 ish, but this shows $70: https://www.ebay.com/i/252914476201?chn=ps&dispItem=1

This thread is awesome, I didn't even know half of these items even existed.

Ok - since this is the OT forum & the title is just tools and gadgets (not specifically WWing)

I just picked up one of these things:
    Maglula UpLULA universal pistol magazine loader.
    Fabulous tool! Works exactly as advertised - sort of the Kreg Pocket Hole jig of shooting gear.
    A real God-send for people with arthritis and/or carpal tunnel.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon