Thread: 1st coat of tung oil finish on 19" shallow walnut bowl

Blog Entries

1st coat of tung oil finish on 19" shallow walnut bowl

Finally was able to get an acceptable finish on this piece.
    I started a thread about it but can't find it.
    In that thread I struck up an interesting conversation with a very knowledgeable member regarding finishing it to get the best use of the figuring versus a finish with the highest contrast. Not sure if I succeeded either way, but here's a couple of shots with one coat of Formby's tung oil finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 06-23-2017 at 7:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    The pics above were cropped with no other edits. Here's a shot that I used "Auto Adjust Color".

Perhaps most of you are familiar with similar pieces of walnut, but I've never seen anything like this piece. It has a completely different look every time you change your perspective. Auto color was all I used on the first pic and for the 2ND I added auto adjust contrast. To me it looks like the center extends above the outer perimeter, but it is a very shallow bowl and these are top pics.

https://www.rockler.com/how-to/what-is-chatoyance/

Is what you describe chatoyance?

Blog Entries
    I do not know, but it is so interesting somehow I cannot imagine it being undesirable. Must be a personal thing where it is either loved or hated.
    In your opinion, does this quality add or take from the beauty of this piece? And i'm not referring to the turning or any other processes I did to it...the wood itself.
    The reason I ask is because I have about another 15' cut to ~4" and kiln dried.

Blog Entries
    I did experience some warping when I first turned it so as a result I could not manage a bowl deeper than a little over 1" deep. So, when a friend stopped by a couple of days ago he asked me if it was a lazy Susan. But it is what it is and I can't help but wonder if the majority of the membership see it as having less beauty of walnut without this character.

In my opinion chatoyance is always desirable. I think it adds character to the piece.
    That is a nice piece of wood.
    Not being negative but from the pics your piece looks more like a platter than a bowl. Nothing wrong with platters, variety makes turning a whole lot more enjoyable!

I think too most wood turners value chatoyance. The article above says in some cases when matching two pieces of veneer next to each other both pieces should match as best as possible to hide the seam. If one has a high degree of chatoyance and the other doesn't it would be hard to hide the seam. IMO a turned piece with a high degree of chatoyance would be highly desirable. Maybe my choice of articles wasn't the best since it didn't deal strictly with turning but I thought the definition of chatoyance was pretty good. I think that's what your seeing.

Blog Entries
    That's a prominent spot. She must like it.
    A friend stopped by yesterday and asked " is that a Lazy Susan?
    She had to put another bowl under it to keep it from laying on the table . Couldn't be helped..it warped and I used what I could. The small base on the bottom is about half an inch.