Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Menards and Home Depot Lawsuit

Lowes, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Didn't Lowe's get sued for this in California and I believe had to pay a lot.
    Lowes settled for 1.5 million or so in 2014. http://cdnassets.hw.net/8f/fa/17292a...-judgement.pdf

Some lawyer said, hey, let's sue HD now! Let's make some money!

JKJ

You may have to shim from lumber bought a year ago and lumber purchased today. Its not nasa level tolerances. Like I say, we have come in on Reno's in homes less than a year old and dimensional lumber doesn't match up. Any framing done in the 50's has been bone dry (and if its in an attic more than bone dry) for 67 years at this point. Its going to be smaller, and drier, period. Framing lumber bought today is likely going to be 19%. 67 year old lumber, provided there isn't a roof leak or some other issue, is likely going to be close to single digits.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Lowes settled for 1.5 million or so in 2014. http://cdnassets.hw.net/8f/fa/17292a...-judgement.pdf

JKJ
    First thing we do is kill all the lawyers. The bonus is that takes care of almost all the politicians too.

Coming next, suing hard drive manufacturers because a 1TB drive does not have 1TB usable after it is formatted, and everyone because 1K = 1024 rather than 1000, except when it does.

And while we are at it, can we roll-back some of the new meanings for words? I mean really, I want to have a "gay old time" with my friends at a party. I want to fetch a bundle of sticks for burning without offending anyone. I also want people start using "to be" again; your car needs to be cleaned, it does not "need cleaned".

Feeling like a grumpy old fart. Speaking of farts, the word "rap" was used to mean fart many years ago and it was used to refer to that type of music as a joke <sigh>.

Blog Entries
    Must . . . resist urge . . . to talk about . . . lawsuits .

How about the shocking fact that there's sugar in candy!?! What! Sugar in candy? Unheard of.

Rule one - Any lawyer, court, judge or other legal entity that would entertain such a lawsuit shall be summarily shot.
    Rule two - The person trying to bring the suit shall be made to watch and then be summarily shot.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Koenen View Post
    I'm 82 and I remember a 2 x 4 being 1 5/8 x 3 5/8"..... 2 x 6 1 5/8 x 5 5/8 etc. anyone else? Justin Koenen
    I remember that.

Also, the last time I was in Moctezuma in the central highlands of Mexico (fixing up a children's camp) we went to "town" to buy some 2x4s. (5 hr trip) The only lumber available was rough sawn, 2"x4", warped, and expensive.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    ..the word "rap" was used to mean ...
    For some reason they always leave off the "c" that's supposed to be on the front of that word.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

JKJ
    I read the link as well as I could before the pain in my head got too intense. I think that is different. It allowes Lowes to sell a nominal 2x4 that is actually 1.5x3.5. Apparently they were using misleading labels that caused confusion. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Koenen View Post
    I'm 82 and I remember a 2 x 4 being 1 5/8 x 3 5/8"..... 2 x 6 1 5/8 x 5 5/8 etc. anyone else? Justin Koenen
    I believe, IIRC, that the nominal dimension was changed in the mid to late 60's, from those dimensions, to the current dimensions.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Must . . . resist urge . . . to talk about . . . lawsuits .

How about the shocking fact that there's sugar in candy!?! What! Sugar in candy? Unheard of.

Rule one - Any lawyer, court, judge or other legal entity that would entertain such a lawsuit shall be summarily shot.
    Rule two - The person trying to bring the suit shall be made to watch and then be summarily shot.

Hmmm,,,, you may have something here Glenn.
    You might be able to sue for there not being sugar in candy. HFCS( High Fructose Corn Syrup) is a type of sugar, but it isn't cane sugar. Seems misleading to me.
    I say go for it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    First thing we do is kill all the lawyers. The bonus is that takes care of almost all the politicians too.
    Then we convert to the metric system. That will keep everyone else confused for a while.
    Gary

When I started framing in 1968 2x4s were 1 5/8" x 3 5/8". All other dimensional framing lumber was similarly sized ie. a 2x10 was 1 5/8" x 9 5/8". Prior to that lumber was sized at 1 3/4" x 3 3/4", I am unsure when this change occurred. I'm am not sure exactly when lumber was further downsized to the current 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" but I believe it was in the early 70s.

Far more significant, in my mind, is the continuing "down grading" of framing material allowing more and more knots per foot and the introduction of "White Wood" as opposed to true Douglas Fir.

When our house was built in 1963, the lumber came straight from the mill just down the road. It is true dimensional 2 x 4, 2 x 6, etc. etc. Finished lumber has always been smaller, as you well know. After we plane it down, it has to be smaller or we wouldn't have anything to do. We would just slap it together and say, "Hey that looks good".
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Gotta go to Lowes and get me some of those special, primo, 'center cut' 2X4's before they are all gone.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Every local saw mill / planer mill had their own dimensions for lumber, which wasn't a problem till we started importing lumber from other sections of the country.The lumber industry established a set of standards for all lumber so it could come from multiple sources and be the same size, called nominal sizing. I'm old enough to remember house construction sites had a DeWalt RAS with long benches on each side to cut floor joists, studs, ceiling joists and rafters to length. One of my suppliers used to cut joist to exact length and square on both ends. A 16' 2 X10 was exactly 16' long, and cut square on both ends. But go into home centers where the rigid conduit is and measure a 10' stick. It will measure ten foot, including coupling. This means to run 100', you would have to buy eleven sticks, as each piece is about an inch short of being ten feet.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 06-24-2017 at 1:05 PM.