Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Menards and Home Depot Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    And the risk ought to be for the lawyers too. As it stands right now, they have no issues pushing as many frivolous lawsuits as they want, unless they really make the judge mad. I'd like to see them charged, personally, out-of-pocket, $100k per frivolous lawsuit dismissed by the court. That would stop them from chasing ambulances so closely.
    It's a balancing act. We don't want to make justice seem like it's only for the well-to-do but yeah, right now certain classes of lawsuits seem like low risk potentially high reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It's a balancing act. We don't want to make justice seem like it's only for the well-to-do but yeah, right now certain classes of lawsuits seem like low risk potentially high reward.
    Unfortunately, there is very little accountability today. Sure, on very rare occasion, you get someone who has gone so far over the line that you can't see the line from here that gets disbarred, but that is extremely rare. There's a reason why the U.S., with 5% of the world's population, has 85% of the world's lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Yes/no/maybe....

Quite often I've thought that if everyone in the construction trades & woodworkers would stand together we could force plywood manufacturers to product honest - 3/4", 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" materials.

Other than greed, I can't see any reason why they undersize plywood.

Dimensional lumber, ok, I can see a little bit of that, but, as pointed out above - give them a 1/4" and they'll take a mile.
    When we renovate a 1950's or 1960's house and have to install new studs, it's always a hassle to shim them to the right size before putting the drywall on.
    Hi Rich, the issue is that plywood has been metric in North America for thickness since the 1970's, so it doesn't measure anything standard in the Imperial system.........Rod.

Hi, I just read that a Federal judge has struck down the lawsuit against Menards.............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, I just read that a Federal judge has struck down the lawsuit against Menards.............Rod.

Hey Rod, did you just get around to reading post # 39 from last week ?

Blog Entries
    I grew up in a house in Topeka, KS that was built in 1920. My dad told me that the studs were actually 2"x4" and not some nominal size.

I live in a house built in 1860 (ok, I'm in the in-law quarters next door). I will have to over and measure some stuff in the basement and attic sometime.