Thread: Hand Drill with precise clutch, suggestions?

Hand Drill with precise clutch, suggestions?

I have a Festool CSX, it's small drill that has a very precise clutch, great for soft woods so I can really dial in the clutch for precise tension. I keep this at home, but my shop drill an 18v Milwaukee Fuel, tons of power, but the clutch is not very sensitive, especially in the lower settings, even on the lowest setting it's too strong for screwing pocket holes in Douglas Fir.

Id like to find a drill with a very accurate and sensitive clutch and not have to buy another Festool Drill preferably.

Thanks for your help.

And the drawback to the CSX is that the clutch isn't as good as all the other Festool Drills with the electronic clutch...........CSX is great but the others are even better.

The Bosch PS10 I-Driver has a clutch better than the CSX but it is a light duty driver more than a drill. It has 1/4" hex chuck. They have a version of it with a 3/8" chuck but not sure it has the precision electronic clutch.

Fein has a drill with an electronic clutch that is supposed to be great. Not as good as the Festool electronic ones. However they do have some other advantages like a really high speed. They are Festool prices or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    And the drawback to the CSX is that the clutch isn't as good as all the other Festool Drills with the electronic clutch...........CSX is great but the others are even better.

The Bosch PS10 I-Driver has a clutch better than the CSX but it is a light duty driver more than a drill. It has 1/4" hex chuck. They have a version of it with a 3/8" chuck but not sure it has the precision electronic clutch.

Fein has a drill with an electronic clutch that is supposed to be great. Not as good as the Festool electronic ones. However they do have some other advantages like a really high speed. They are Festool prices or more.

That Bosch Driver might suit my needs/wallet better. Never considered a dedicated driver, as I don't really need the drill part it makes allot of sense, and certainly allot cheaper than another Festool drill.

I'd also recommend a Bosch driver. Though not the ps10. It's a right angle / straight affair that I don't find ergonomic for pocket screws.

The ps20 , 21 , or especially the 22 with brushless motor is really a treat and more like a CSX. They can be had for $100-$125 and the batteries last forever.