Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Nightstand Plans

Shaker Nightstand Plans

I'm very new to woodworking and looking for some good plans for the classic single drawer shaker nightstand. I know there are quite a few out there on the internet, but I was hoping to hear from someone that has some experience with one of these plans. Anyone have any recommendations? Also, I don't mind paying a reasonable price for a good set of plans - especially since I'm just getting started.

Blog Entries
    My first thought was to check the Popular Woodworking site. Had to register to see search results for > shaker night stand <.

It was from their issue 2 of Woodworking magazine with an option to purchase.

My way of doing this is to make a rough drawing on paper to determine dimensions, then start cutting wood.

Another source for ideas is Wood Working for Mere Mortals:

http://woodworking.formeremortals.ne...e-night-stand/

Steve Ramsey is a power tool kind of guy, but you can often get ideas on how to make things and then make adjustments for making his projects with hand tools.

Good luck,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I was very new, I appreciated the plans in Wood Magazine. They were fairly accurate and straight forward to follow. They often included printable, scale plans.

Fine Woodworking had a 'Getting Started in Woodworking' video series when Asa and Ed Pirnik were active (side note: I didn't fully appreciate how good they were until they left!). They happen to have a 7 series show on building a Shaker table/night stand. This is IMHO better than printed plans, because it takes you through lumber selection and finishing, which are important skills. However, having not watched the series myself, I cannot attest to whether they provide complete measurements, which is something I appreciated in Wood Magazine plans.

As your skills develop from beginner to intermediate, I highly recommend FWW's online subscription. FWW articles have critical details, but not complete plans. This means you have to figure minor details out for yourself, but they also usually include some element of whimsy or technical challenge that will continue to stretch your skills as you grow.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-23-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    John, where are you located?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I built two of this one. They are in my Daughter and husband's bedroom.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp...T2004-Seg2.pdf

You will like the price, they are free. Take it from me, it is an excellent set of plans.
    I used walnut wood. I hand-rubbed a poly finish. Google "hand rub polyurethane finish"
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-23-2017 at 2:11 PM.

Thanks Lowell; I might make one of these for myself...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Thanks Lowell; I might make one of these for myself...
    Do it Prashun, it is a fun project that you will not stop until it is finished. I find that the
    Popular Woodworking project plans are outstanding. There are no mistakes in this article.
    I was relatively a newbie wood worker when I built them.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-23-2017 at 2:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    John, where are you located?
    Brian, I am in Oklahoma City.

Thanks, Lowell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    I started high school at Capitol Hill High School in Oklahoma City. I also lived in El Reno while in Junior High.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    A shaker nightstand is fairly straightforward, but what do you have in the way of tools?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    A shaker nightstand is fairly straightforward, but what do you have in the way of tools?
    Now Brian, you know that most of us never let the lack of a tool dissuade us.

It's an excellent project to build a tool collection. A couple of saws, hand plane, four chisels, tri-square, yard stick should do the project. Pipe clamps are cheap.

Many of us have a real collection of tools, but the list above does 90 percent of the work. The saws I use most is my rip saw, cross cut saw and dove tail saw.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-23-2017 at 3:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I built two of this one. They are in my Daughter and husband's bedroom.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp...T2004-Seg2.pdf

You will like the price, they are free. Take it from me, it is an excellent set of plans.
    I used walnut wood. I hand-rubbed a poly finish. Google "hand rub polyurethane finish"
    i believe that Schwarz did a DVD on this too

I have not used this plan but all of Marks videos have been vary helpful to me.
    https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/shaker-table/

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    I have not used this plan but all of Marks videos have been vary helpful to me.
    https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/shaker-table/
    Thanks, Justin!