Thread: Your favorite wood for engraving pic

Your favorite wood for engraving pic

So my favorite wood is Alder. Good contrast, hard enough for fine detail, and sands well. But I have not tried all the different woods. What are your favorites?
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Alder, Cherry, Maple, and Baltic Birch plywood.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Along with what is mentioned, I do a lot of African Mahogany and bamboo... picture of Mahogany plaque I did recently:

IMG_1939.jpg
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Yes BB, Bamboo, Beech is good also.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I TYPICALLY engrave photos using (JDS) Alder - but I'm finding this kinda interesting. Their fairly recent "American Made" Alder plaques seem to engrave photos much nicer than the ones from Mexico, China, wherever! Think they've got a slightly different finish applied. ? -least somethin' is different 'bout 'em! Know you asked 'bout "wood", but I also do really well engraving photos on Black/white Alumimark (often used for memorial benches) - and on black granite tiles - often used as foot-stones when embedded in concrete slabs. - Later. - Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

My best results for pictures have always been with thin (1/32) Baltic birch ply from Midlands, usually available at Michaels etc. The trick is to have your max burn just get through the top layer: the glue underneath turns a nice black for more dynamic range than most solid woods will yield.

Lettering and 1-bit graphics...bamboo, bloodwood, poplar all work fine. For that you just want a wood where the grain isn't wildly different densities like it is with things like oak or even some maple.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Never had a lot of luck with Bamboo.. It's not a wood, but technically a grass and usually inconsistent densities.. Alder or Cherry are my faves, Maple is OK, but I usually have to darken it.. At least the stuff I get needs darkening.. Baltic birch usually gives good results as well

My First post in quite a while, and yup still alive.. Just super busy..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Bill, welcome back. You've been missed!

I like cherry, white oak, mahogany and aromatic cedar. Usually don't do pictures, though.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have a customer who brought me a case of 100 small bamboo cutting boards, giveaways to their customers. I thought "yay, bamboo, no problem!"

- these things have been all over the map, from jet black to no color change at all, sometimes on the same board! Not sure why, but leaves me with doubt about doing photo's on bamboo...

Haven't done many wood pics, but I got a kick out of how this one turned out-
    It's done on the back of a scrap of cheap 1/8" wood paneling from the '70's... I just smeared a little ebony stain on and wiped it off quickly, then sanded it a bit when it dried...
    did this on the old 25w ULS...

woodpicb.jpg

This is 2 identical photos, stainless and oak. The SS turned out so well the customer wanted one in wood, and he brought me this...
    The grain looks very good on the surface, but man, did it change once the laser hit it...
    SS-PIC.JPGtheriveroak.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Here is a piece of maple I ran today. Two passes out of focus by about 1/16".pirate.jpg
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I know its a pretty rare wood for engraving but someone brought me a Hickory plaque to engrave several years ago and it engraved really nice.

I'd love a piece of hickory-- I'd engrave 'Dickery Doc' on it just so people would ask
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev,

Hickory is the number one choice for firewood in my neck of the woods so its plentiful. If you would like to try some and I can find a source for dry lumber I would be glad to send you some.