Thread: Hooking a Dewalt miter saw to DC system?

Hooking a Dewalt miter saw to DC system?

Hi Guys,

What's the best way to hook up a Dewalt miter saw to the dust control system? I use 4" tubing.

Thanks
    Tom

Tom,

There really is no good way to hook up a SCMS to a dust collection system.

Is your Dewalt a slider or not?

Either way, the common way is to build a collection box behind the saw and collect it there, use a down draft type table under the saw, and just connect it to the shopvac port.

All ways mean dust in the air. Personally, I had a hood and I no longer run the DC with it. I just vacuum it out. It really doesn't collect much (I should really re-engineer it
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

It's a slider

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    It's the biggest slider they've got
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Tom,

There really is no good way to hook up a SCMS to a dust collection system.

Either way, the common way is to build a collection box behind the saw and collect it there, use a down draft type table under the saw, and just connect it to the shopvac port.

All ways mean dust in the air. Personally, I had a hood and I no longer run the DC with it. I just vacuum it out. It really doesn't collect much (I should really re-engineer it
    My newly acquiered Hitachi just throws the dust out the collection port(meaning..once I hook up my dust collection it should be rather efficent).

But..we will see.

Mine's not a slider but this is what I did.

Duct comes up through the floor. First branch goes off elsewhere. Second (capped off in "before" pic) branch leads to flex hose. This was my concept and Oneida sized everything.

This setup works really great. Although I'll admit I fail to turn the DC on once in a while. And even when I forget, that flex hose still ends up with the bulk of the dust in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 10-24-2005 at 4:31 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

I've been working on my slider hood off and on for two years and haven't got it licked yet. 6" hose.
    One of these days hopefully.

I use BOTH a rear hood AND a spun reducer downdraft mounted below the saw's table and fitting into the benchtop. In my experience, using just one and not both was insufficient. Search the archives. There are some good posts with pix...especially for rear hood arrangements.

I built a box around mine and have a hose attached to the DeWalt slider. Also have a 4 inch hole in the base hooked up to my Wood Sucker. The box contains most of the sawdust but still get some on me and in the air. Have to use a small broom to sweep the sawdust to the 4 inch hole in the bottom of the box. Have a picture on my website under shop tour.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Mine is not a slider, but I built a 1/2 box behind it and hooked a 6" duct. the vast majority of the dust makes it into the hood and the very fine dust is pulled that way instead of creating a cloud in the air. I know right away after a cut without the collector running because I can smell the sawdust.