Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelix head cutter

Shelix head cutter

Ordered shelix head fronWoodcutters.com. They say it will take 10 weeks to get it, does this seem like a long time. I am in no hurry just wondering.

Last I heard it was longer.
    There are better options out there

What other options. Thanks

I don't know what Byrd's wait is now, but later last year they had a 3-4 month wait in place.
    David

Not sure what machine you are putting it on, but grizzly seems to stock a few standardized Byrd heads. I just upgraded my jointer and planer and both were delivered in two days.

Hermance would be my choice. Not a fan of the perched cutters

Blog Entries
    Knowing what you are trying to put the head in would help you get better answers. Holbren keeps some items on hand. That industry being what it is, anything not very mainstream would probably be made when ordered.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am putting it on Dwalt 735

There have been sellers on Amazon.com and Ebay the last few weeks (including holbren) that appear to have stock.

Well, nevermind then

Quote Originally Posted by paul dyar View Post
    Ordered shelix head fronWoodcutters.com. They say it will take 10 weeks to get it, does this seem like a long time. I am in no hurry just wondering.
    The wait seems to usually be from 2 - 4 months. I hope you are a mechanic minded woodworker. From the videos I've seen online, it's quite a job to install the head in your 735. I looked at it, decided I couldn't do it (not good enough of a machine mechanic and maybe didn't want to either), it was too expensive to have installed, and made a price comparison over a longer period of time comparing available steel knives with the helical head costs based on my usage and found it really wasn't worth it. I get great results with my steel knives, can usually find them on sale online when I need them, and my planer is already more than 5 years old. Not sure how long these planers last, but I wouldn't want to go through the expense and trouble of the upgrade only to find out the planer dies in a couple of years. Anyway the timeframe seems to be right.

It's in stock at Grizzly. You are getting it for less probably because they don't carry any inventory.

grizzly.com/products/Shelix-Cutterhead-for-DeWalt-DW735X/T25670?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I hope you are a mechanic minded woodworker. From the videos I've seen online, it's quite a job to install the head in your 735. I looked at it, decided I couldn't do it.
    Different folks will have differing experiences, but I wouldn't want to discourage the average woodworker from converting their planer. The heads come with excellent instructions. Anyone capable of tuning and maintaining power woodworking machinery should have no trouble installing the head.

And the results are excellent. I haven't had to change knives in 3 years. No chips, stays sharp, less noise.

This is a pretty good video on YouTube of how to install a Byrd head. It's a 3 part video with good instructions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XucCQYbhLM

Holbren has in stock and lower cost than Grizzly, free shipping too.

https://www.holbren.com/Byrd_Tool_B4725

That guy at the other dealer is probably trying to collect orders because he has no inventory.