Thread: Malware on FFW DVD?

Malware on FFW DVD?

I bought a copy of Fine Woodworking's Archive 1975 to 2016. When I install it on my Windows 10 machine, at the moment it should open the application, my antivirus software steps in and says there's malware in the installed file. It immediately deletes the folder and everything in it. The antivirus software is AVG Antivirus Free. Anybody else have this problem?

No, but my copy is a year older so that doesnt help you. I'd call Taughton on Monday and ask for a new disk. They need to know if there's really malware.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I bought a copy of Fine Woodworking's Archive 1975 to 2016. When I install it on my Windows 10 machine, at the moment it should open the application, my antivirus software steps in and says there's malware in the installed file. It immediately deletes the folder and everything in it. The antivirus software is AVG Antivirus Free. Anybody else have this problem?
    is it possible that avg is giving a false positive to this dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    is it possible that avg is giving a false positive to this dvd?
    That would be my suspicion. Does your antivirus tell you which file it thinks contains malware? If so, you could copy that file from the DVD and upload it here:

https://www.virustotal.com/

Yes, it is possible that AVG is mistaken. It is also possible that the DVD is contaminated. I'm hoping that some Creeker has experience which would point to one or the other.

Can you scan the DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Can you scan the DVD?
    How is that different from what AVG is doing already?