Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indicator light for jointer?

Indicator light for jointer?

Yikes!!! Left my jointer running tonight as I was moving stock between it and my table saw. When I'm wearing hearing protection and when my dust collector is running, I can't hear my jointer. Even so, until tonight, I've never overlooked turning the jointer off when finished. Wonder if there is a way to set up some obvious indicator light that will illuminate when the jointer is running.

I have been using these on a few projects and would be an easy thing to wire up with the motor.

220v version
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

120v version
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chris' options certainly look like they would work.

A slightly more traditional approach might be to use one of these? They have LED versions as well. You could wire it up as just a signalling device: lit when the motor is running; and use the push-button contacts for a push-to-test function. Or you could probably find a suitable version to replace the existing on/off operator(s) on your jointer (the contacts then become part of the start circuit).

I don't see 220V versions on the linked page, but they are available from several makers (IDEC, Allen-Bradley, etc).
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 06-24-2017 at 8:28 AM.

Good suggestions. I had this happen to me, too. Pretty unnerving.

I modified my jointer control circuit so there is an indication when power is applied to the jointer circuit and it is ready to be started, and a different light is on when the machine is running.

BUT at the end of the day the answer is really to check your shop to make sure that all is well BEFORE you leave. Granted, a light will help with this. But light or no light the process should be the same.

PS... forgot to check? Join the club.... but not every time... 😀
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

How about a task light that is on the same side of the switchgear as the motor. You could add a switch so it can also be on with the motor off but it will always be on if the motor is energized.
    Bill D

I added one of these to my lathe so I can tell if the VFD is energized.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YC-30-GSRS-Y...oAAOSwOgdYv0x9

Yesterday I inadvertently left the table saw running after I moved to another machine. This is a rare occurrence. When I was finished with the jointer operation and turned the jointer off, I heard another machine running and it turned out to be the table saw. I gave myself a dope slap and turned the table saw off. Other than the minuscule amount of electricity wasted I don't understand what the issue is that requires a sensor to rectify that simply turning the running machine off doesn't cure.

I've left my RPC on several times longer then I should.Its so quite I'm bound to leave on all night eventually.
    Aj

Run all your 220v machines (sans dust collector) on one circuit like I do. If you try to start a second machine the breaker trips!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Run all your 220v machines (sans dust collector) on one circuit like I do. If you try to start a second machine the breaker trips!
    Thats how my tools are powered. I have yet to forget to turn a machine off though.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

An electrinics tech I used to work with always installed a rotary warning light on his soldering station and it was a great way to obviously see when it was powered on. I plan to use this idea on a couple of my machines. I can't think of a more visible way to light something up that's difficult to "miss" in the middle of casually exiting the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinito Caleb View Post
    An electrinics tech I used to work with always installed a rotary warning light on his soldering station and it was a great way to obviously see when it was powered on. I plan to use this idea on a couple of my machines. I can't think of a more visible way to light something up that's difficult to "miss" in the middle of casually exiting the shop.

Now that would freak me out.A light flashing as I'm running my saw probably give me a flash back.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I bet you don't do it again. I see from the number of your posts, you might be relatively new to the environment.

Early on, I put my left fore finger into my table saw blade and nearly cut the tip off. I survived and kept the finger tip.
    Since that time, I always use push sticks on all of my power tools except for my band saw.

I am so terrified of it I never let my attention wander. I am terrified of it because of the close proximity of the blade to my fingers.
    I will sometimes use a push stick on the band saw.

You need to add the indicator light, but also don't leave any tool running when your attention is diverted from it.
    I bet you will never do it again, indicator light or not.

Wood should be stacked on saw horses, not on tools. You can make folding saw horses out of 1x4 with door butts for hinges on the top.
    I use rope for the cross pieces down on the legs about 6 inches above the floor. When your though with the lumber stack, fold the
    horses and store them.

Each saw horse requires (8) 1X4 48 inches long. Two cross pieces , one at the top and one 6" above the floor. Nail 1x4 legs to these cross
    pieces. Door butts will tie the top of the legs together. Drill holes in the bottom cross pieces and legs, put a 3/8" diameter rope between them.
    These horses should be made of clear pine. They will support probably 150-200 pounds. The legs and cross pieces on my folding saw horses
    are 42" long. The rope is threaded from one leg to the other.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-25-2017 at 8:25 PM.

One thought I had after seeing this thread ambling along, is using an automatic dust collector switch (one that senses current in the supply to the tool) to turn on a spotlight on focused on the bed of the jointer. This does two things: 1. It gives a visual indication that the tool is on and 2. it gives additional task lighting (just make sure it is not a light that "strobes" to make the cutter look stationary)
    Here is a 110V version of the switch (I recall seeing a 220V version somewhere) http://www.rockler.com/i-socket-110m...-vacuum-switch

John

Discipline Daniel-san. If turning it on doesn't remind you to shut it down, eventually you'll just ignore the light too. 21 days to form a new habit?

Don't get me wrong, I leave stuff on all the time. Powerfeeds are my weakness I forget to shut them down religiously.