Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock Miter Master Patented- finally!!

Congrats Alan! I bought one a while ago and it works great with my Freud lock miter bits!!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Alan! We are as excited her at Infinity as you are. Here is a picture of a couple Lock Miter Master Jigs from the first patented production run.
    IMG_7175.jpg
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Congratulations on your patent. It's a great feeling to see your patent finally issued.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Congrats Alan.
    War Eagle!

CONGRATS!!!

I actually use this product. I have watched hours of video on-line on "HOW" to line up the cuts on the lock miter bits. The last time I used the bits, I could not get them to work from the videos. So, I pulled out the Lock Miter Master Jigs, and it aligned everything the first time.

Great product!!!

So, now you have given us two great inventions for woodworking. the I-Box and the Lock Miter Master jigs. Congratulations on both as they are both great improvements for woodworking. I own both and I am hoping that you will have more soon. Please keep them coming.

Charley

Congratulations..... I love your I-Box
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Congratulations, Alan. I've used your lock miter jig a few times, with great, easy results. Like the iBox too. Nice to hear you got the patent. You're a creative guy.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks, Charley and everyone.

My shop time has been scarce lately. Just a few years ago the ideas were really flowing. (FYI, I don't set out to invent stuff. My ideas come from woodworking projects when I run across a problem that needs to be solved). I came close to licensing two designs to Lee Valley/Veritas but they didn't pan out. The designs were probably not mature enough. But then, I did some work for another big company that tried to rip me off which soured me on the whole process- not every company are as good folks as INCRA, Infinity, and Lee Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I did some work for another big company that tried to rip me off which soured me on the whole process- not every company are as good folks as INCRA, Infinity, and Lee Valley.
    Been there and done that, I have another invention that I have prototyped and I can't be bothered taking it any further for that reason. The ripped off design is now sold world wide.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Hello Alan. I have an invention (my first and most likely my last) that is patent pending. I'm not sure what to do next. Any general guidline or pitfalls to avoid that you can share?
    Congrats on your Patent!
    Dennis
    No. I only do that when I'm drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Mas View Post
    Hello Alan. I have an invention (my first and most likely my last) that is patent pending. I'm not sure what to do next. Any general guideline or pitfalls to avoid that you can share?
    Congrats on your Patent!
    Dennis
    Every situation is different. Have you licensed it and are you already working with a manufacturer? Is it truly "Patent Pending" in the legal sense or are you using that term loosely? If it is truly "patent pending" is it because you or a licensee have filed a provisional patent application or applied for a Utility Patent? Will you be manufacturing it or will you license it to someone else. These issues make a big difference. Since I am not in business (retired Navy and DoD), unless I was absolutely certain that I could license it and it would make a lot of money or I had a lot of extra money I could afford to spend and possibly lose, I would never spend my own money to file for a Utility Patent. You never get back any of the money for patent attorneys and application fees, which can be $10K, $20K, and maybe more, if a patent doesn't issue. If it does issue but you haven't assigned it to someone else (manufacturer), there are regular patent maintenance fees you must make to USPTO to keep it in force.

A good starting point is to go online to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) website and download/read their "Exchanging Value - Negotiating Technology Licensing Agreements: A Training Manual" Also, if you haven't actually filed for a Utility Patent yet get one of David Pressman's books and learn all about it. Also read about Provisional Patent Applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Congratulations Alan! We are as excited her at Infinity as you are. Here is a picture of a couple Lock Miter Master Jigs from the first patented production run.
    IMG_7175.jpg
    Andrew, thanks for posting! I like the new graphic too. I might just have to make a shadow box (using lock miters of course!) for a copy of the patent and samples of the jig!

That's a pretty awesome jig and the price is very reasonable. Congratulations!

Congrats Alan. I have this device on my short list of items to order from Infinity. I tried the trial and error method to set up one of these bits not long ago, and gave up in frustration and went to another joinery method.