Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock Miter Master Patented- finally!!

Lock Miter Master Patented- finally!!

For the last couple of years I have been lurking more than posting, but I thought this was newsworthy. Some may remember that in addition to hobby woodworking, I also do a bit of tinkering- adding VFD's and tricking out my woodworking machines, designing and building a stow-away hoist for my second story shop, building my own cyclone and designing and building autogates for and automating my dust collection system. A few years ago I came up with an idea for a revolutionary box joint jig that actually worked. Though I had never done anything like that before, a friend suggested I try to sell or licensed it. I was lucky to do so- INCRA turned my idea into the I-BOX which continues to sell.

A few years after that, after a few unsuccessful attempts to sell/license other misc. ideas and designs. . . that were evidently considered less marketable by potential licensees (I came really close a couple of times!), I had another "light bulb moment." I came up with a design for a little jig that made it easy to set up the notoriously finicky lock miter router bit. It worked so well that I called it the Lock Miter Master. In short order I was also able to license it to Infinity Cutting Tools. Since the design was so simple it took less than 6 months from proposal, to licensing, to production, to market!!! Over four years ago, just before the jig hit the market, I drafted and submitted a Provisional Patent Application to the USPTO. Then, after almost a year of successful sales and before the protections provided by the provisional application, which are only good for a year, expired, Infinity decided we should apply for a full Utility Patent which we did in April 2014- over 3 years ago!

We just learned that a patent has issued!! It sure took a long time! I know, I know, many say a patent is only as good as the money you have to pay lawyers to defend it, but Yippee, anyway! Below is a partial image of the first page of the patent followed by a photo of a retail item. The patent has 17 pages worth of drawings and patent gobbledegook, all for something barely the size of a book of matches, but if you want to read it follow this link to the USPTO webpage. If you are not familiar with the Lock Miter Master and how it works, check it out on the Infinity website.

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 06-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Congratulations!!

As an engineer, I've always thought that a patent is a bit like winning an Oscar (Noble Prize maybe? Or, is that too snooty?). I've helped someone 'smooth out' their idea and so jointly applied for one that never issued, so can imagine your pride. Enjoy! And I wish you much success with it.

Congrats.

Does your jig work with any lock miter bit , or only the one sold by infinity ?

Congrats Alan from a happy user of your device. Dave, the jig works on any bit I've tried it on so far (Whiteside, Amana router bits and Felder Shaper cutter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Congrats.

Does your jig work with any lock miter bit , or only the one sold by infinity ?
    So far it has worked with every router bit we have tried- certainly all those available from US retailers. It uses a different principle than setup blocks which must match the cutter profile exactly and are limited to one specific stock thickness.

It will also work with shaper bits whose carbide cutting edge is generally a radius. While it can be used to set the height of shaper bits that have a carbide that is offset- a chord, not a radius- it is extremely difficult to set the fence position due to the geometry. Believe it or not the Infinity shaper bit is one of those with an offset carbide.

Unlike all other setup jigs, the Lock Miter Master can be used to set up and cut lock miters in stock of different thickness, which the instructions provided by some lock miter bit sellers say is impossible! It can also be used to make special (offset) lock miter joints. Infinity has a (my) fully illustrated manual on line for viewing and download.

Carbide is a radius:

Carbide is a chord:

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 06-24-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Good for you Alan! Congratulations!
    Fred

Congratulations Alan, and welcome to the club!

John

Great invention, Alan. I've been using it for the past couple of years with excellent results. Really easy to dial in the correct bit height, saving having to cut sample after sample trying to get the correct setting.

Dave

Congratulations!
    Chuck Taylor

Nice! Congrats!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Congratulations Alan and I hope your optimism on the security of the patent proves positive. We have spoken about that aspect several times if I recall and I for one would no longer bother.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Good job, Alan. Followed this & the i-box since the woodworks days.

Ed

Nicely done Alan, congratulations.

Congratulations, Alan! I saw that in FWW and it looked pretty impressive.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Congrats, might just have to get one for my finicky lock miter bit! I got my one and only patent in 1991 (since expired) when I was building barefoot booms in my basement (shipped about 2500 over 15 years). It was a proud moment. Had it engraved on aluminum and it still hangs in my bedroom. Came real close to getting patent 5,000,000. Mine was 5,000,109. It came in handy and paid for itself when a competitor had to pay me royalties for his similar pylon boom clamp.
    NOW you tell me...