Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lock Miter Master Patented- finally!!

Hi Alan,

Congratulations on the patent, I'm sure that has to be a wonderful feeling to know that your work is now a registered patent. I've read this thread from the start and I don't know if I missed it or not but can this set up device be used with shaper cutters? I read where there are two, a small and a larger one. I have a lock miter router bit but I also own a very nice new Garngia Lock Miter shaper cutter that I would like to use this for. I'm assuming as long as I stay within the parameters or the 1 3/16" it will work? I'm also aware of the shaper cutting head is much larger than the router bit so that is why I'm asking. I would most likely buy both device if you think the larger one would work for the shaper head.

Best Regards
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Hi Alan,

Congratulations on the patent, I'm sure that has to be a wonderful feeling to know that your work is now a registered patent. I've read this thread from the start and I don't know if I missed it or not but can this set up device be used with shaper cutters? I read where there are two, a small and a larger one. I have a lock miter router bit but I also own a very nice new Garngia Lock Miter shaper cutter that I would like to use this for. I'm assuming as long as I stay within the parameters or the 1 3/16" it will work? I'm also aware of the shaper cutting head is much larger than the router bit so that is why I'm asking. I would most likely buy both device if you think the larger one would work for the shaper head.

Best Regards
    Ben, it will work with some shaper bits- see text and diagrams in post #5 of this thread for details. It is a geometry thing. As far as size, you can actually use the small jig to set up large bits, though it is easier to align the bit/jig reference line with the centerline of the boards if you use the large jig.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 07-05-2017 at 6:53 PM.

Thanks. I applied for the patent a couple of months ago so it is officially "Patent Pending". I'll be looking to sell the licensing but needed the information you sent to figure out how and where to get started. Thanks again.
    Dennis
    No. I only do that when I'm drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Mas View Post
    Thanks. I applied for the patent a couple of months ago so it is officially "Patent Pending". I'll be looking to sell the licensing but needed the information you sent to figure out how and where to get started. Thanks again.
    Dennis
    Just so you know, most companies will not want to buy your design outright- too much money up front for something that may or may not sell, and if you license it they also may want you to assign the patent to them- means you no longer own the patent. If you license it you can expect typical royalties to range from a fractional percent up to maybe 4-5% tops if you are very lucky. So, unless you have a high dollar/high volume sales item, you ain't getting rich from a license. Also, the company may only offer to pay royalties for the term of the patent. However, as it says in the WIPO manual, everything is negotiable. The other option, of course is to start a company and manufacture it yourself (or have it made in China).

Yep. That's the way I understand it to be. Thanks again for your help.
    Dennis
    No. I only do that when I'm drunk...

Hello Alan again
    i just ordered the Lock Miter Master from Infinity Tools. I ordered the lager one since I want to use it with a shaper cutter. Plus the router bit I own is the lager Freud one. Hopefully it will work with both I'll let you know how it worked out with both

ben
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Just ordered mine from Infinity this afternoon!
    Darn it though - I just rabbeted the edges of some boards I'm going to make a cabinet box out of .
    I could have waited till this came in and gave it a try.

Oh well....I have another project coming up that maybe I can try it out on .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Alan
    i received the Lock Miter Master. It worked the first time without a hitch on a router bit. As for the shaper cutter with the offset design it did not work out. But that was expected the way this cutter head is designed

thank you, it made setup painless