Thread: Conversion or Turbine HVLP?

Conversion or Turbine HVLP?

For years I have used Wagner Conversion guns for finish work with good/acceptable finish on projects. I've been thinking recently about upgrading to a nice Fuji turbine unit, perhaps a Q4, or a higher quality conversion gun. I like the conversion gun since I'm experienced with it and would have a new learning curve with a turbine unit. Also I have a 5hp air compressor on a 60 gal tank so air supply is not a problem. My projects seem to be about a 50/50 mix of clear finish/stain and paint. Everyone seems to love the Fuji type turbine units but I can see there are both pros and cons with
    it as well as conversion units. Your thoughts on Conversion vs. Turbine pros & cons? Any recommendations on high quality Conversion or Turbine units to consider for purchase?

Easy choice - conversion gun. You have a compressor big enough to power any gun you would want. A high end turbine gun will not produce a better finish than a conversion gun costing 1/3 as much. Portability would be the only advantage for a turbine gun.

If you are going to put a lot of miles on a gun by all means buy a $500+ Iwata, Sata, etc. If you are a hobbiest you'll do just as well with a $300 Qualspray or similar and have a lot of cash to spend on something else after not buying a high end turbine. My strongest recommendation is to buy a pressure assisted conversion gun with the 3M PPS cup system and the N/N's needed to cover whatever whatever range of products you want to spray. I spray everything from 20 sec. #4 Ford cup Sealcoat shellac to 500 sec. BM Advance paint with one gun with no thinning.

John

+1 on John's comments. I have a Fuji - they are really good units but noisy and the hose is much larger than a conversion unit, which makes them unwieldy even with the additional whip hose. Now I have a better compressor than my original pancake I'm considering switching over to a conversion for that reason alone. Portability is not an issue for me though.

John and Andy, thanks for the good input. You confirmed my thoughts which was to upgrade to a better conversion gun instead of switching to a turbine. Thanks for 3M PPS tip, was not aware of that system. I watched the 3M video, looks like a slick system that saves a lot of cleanup. You saved me $$ over the turbine setup. I'll buy a $300 conversion gun and the 3M PPS then use the savings for a better air dryer/water separator.

Best of both worlds!!

http://www.fujispray.com/compressor-spray-guns/

Here is a quick review from a member of a Canadian woodworking forum.
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...un-non-turbine

There's one other factor that favors the conversion gun in some (most?) cases. I have an Earlex 5000 unit that does a gret job given what it cost. There is always quite a bit of air coming out when the motor is running. If you're spraying some place that isn't pretty dust-free you could stir up dust that a conversion gun with far less airflow will not. I have an old Porter Cable PSH1 gun that has far less air flow but still puts down a nice finish. The Earlex is portable though which can be handy when the weather is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    There's one other factor that favors the conversion gun in some (most?) cases. I have an Earlex 5000 unit that does a gret job given what it cost. There is always quite a bit of air coming out when the motor is running. If you're spraying some place that isn't pretty dust-free you could stir up dust that a conversion gun with far less airflow will not. I have an old Porter Cable PSH1 gun that has far less air flow but still puts down a nice finish. The Earlex is portable though which can be handy when the weather is nice.
    Curt, I think the Earlex is one of the few HVLP guns on the market that bleeds air when you're not spraying - most guns these days are non-bleeder (ie no air is emitted) so not an issue or disadvantage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Curt, I think the Earlex is one of the few HVLP guns on the market that bleeds air when you're not spraying - most guns these days are non-bleeder (ie no air is emitted) so not an issue or disadvantage
    Thanks Andy, I thought must turbine units were still bleeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Thanks Andy, I thought must turbine units were still bleeders.
    All turbines MUST bleed the air while running. Either through the gun or through a valve at the turbine or both. The back pressure is not good for the turbine.

My turbine does have a bleeder valve on the unit and so can use a non-bleeder gun. However the recommendation from the manufacturer is that I'll get longer life from the turbine if I use a bleeder gun. I added a remote start ($25) to the turbine and use a bleeder style gun and make a conscious effort to NOT POINT THE GUN AT THE WORK WHEN NOT SPRAYING. Problem(s) solved.
    Last edited by Rob Young; 06-29-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: grammar
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young View Post
    All turbines MUST bleed the air while running. Either through the gun or through a valve at the turbine or both. The back pressure is not good for the turbine.

My turbine does have a bleeder valve on the unit and so can use a non-bleeder gun. However the recommendation from the manufacturer is that I'll get longer life from the turbine if I use a bleeder gun. I added a remote start ($25) to the turbine and use a bleeder style gun and make a conscious effort to NOT POINT THE GUN AT THE WORK WHEN NOT SPRAYING. Problem(s) solved.
    Correct, although I think we were talking about the gun rather than the system. Fuji. for example, sells non-bleed guns and recommends them for avoiding the issue that Curt has with his Earlex http://www.fujispray.com/hvlp-spray-guns/