Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee M18- looking for feedback from owners

Blog Entries

Milwaukee M18- looking for feedback from owners

Good day all:

I have a whole bunch of Milwaukee M12 tools and I absolutely love them. I need to upgrade to bigger power. I like the idea of having a dual charger for the M18 and M12. My only issue is that I have had problems with the switches on 3 different drills- always the same problem. The light stays on after the drill is off and it never goes out unless you unplug the battery. That's the only issue I have, but I don't want to invest in the M18 if they are going to have the same issue. Dewalt is similarly priced.

Blog Entries
    *** By the way, Home Depot is our only big box store and they are now mostly pushing Milwaukee now, so batteries and accessories would be easier to source locally. Side question- are you guys in the states seeing the same thing at Home Depot? Dewalt is only special display stuff and Milwaukee has taken over.

I have quite a few M12 Fuel and M18 Fuel tools and I have never had a single problem with any of them. The M18 Fuel tools are really unbelievable with their power and the way the batteries last so long. They are constantly coming out with new innovations in their lineup. I don't think you could go wrong with the M18 tools.
    Earl

Blog Entries
    Yes- I really love the Milwaukee lineup. They seem to cover more bases with one battery. It is what I love most about the M12 system.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    *** By the way, Home Depot is our only big box store and they are now mostly pushing Milwaukee now, so batteries and accessories would be easier to source locally. Side question- are you guys in the states seeing the same thing at Home Depot? Dewalt is only special display stuff and Milwaukee has taken over.

Depot is the "preferred" vendor of Milwaukee and most likely accounts for the bulk of their sales. They use the good/better/best/ model to flog the tools: Ryobi/Ridgid/Milwaukee are at every Depot, with local areas or stores carrying other brands as fillers. Some of the stores around me have an extensive Bosch offering while others carry nothing. Dewalt is pretty well represented at all of them too.

I have both M12 and M18 lines. They are sweet. If all you want is drill/driver type of tools, I'm not sure the brand really matters. But if some of the more unique tools appeal to you, the M18 Fuel line is seriously awesome. The new M18 outdoor tools (string trimmer, hedge trimmer) are quite good also. Only dogs in the lineup are the cordless nailers...not terrible if you need cordless but not quite a replacement for pneumatic in terms of ergonomics (heavy, large noses) and functions (e.g. can't use the 18g at anything other than perpendicular to work surface).

Their copy of the multiMaster beats the Original for under $100.
    And who thought of a battery powered caulking gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Their copy of the multiMaster beats the Original for under $100.
    And who thought of a battery powered caulking gun?
    I have the caulking gun, I recently used it to re-caulk my kitchen and master bath. What a time saver, as well as saving my arm from all the squeezing. One of the neatest tools is their M12 PVC pipe cutter. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2470-21 I just had to redo all the piping for my pool, so I picked this tool up. What a lifesaver, working by myself it would have taken me much much longer to get all the perfect cuts this tool provided.
    Earl

Malcolm I am a full time carpenter with a crew of 2-3 guys. We switched to milwaukee M18 tools in 2012. I am still using the three original batteries that I bought in 2012. The tools are excellent. I do however buy only the "fuel'' brushless versions. I have owned Bosch, Dewalt and craftsman in the past, Milwaukee is by far the best. I seriously thought about Makita,I have quite a few friends in trades that use them. Makita batteries have issues lasting here in Alberta,maybe it is the colder weather. Good luck with your choice,Mike.

I have a M18 hammer drill and impact driver; bought them as a refurbished set with two 3 aH batteries and a 12/18V charger from CPO for about $200 2 years ago. They looked and smelled new. The only thing I noticed slightly amiss is the drill doesn't spin exactly true, there is just a slight bit of runout in it which doesn't really effect it in use. Don't know if others are like that, it has something to do with the hammer drill feature, or it got dinged. In any case, both tools are powerhouses. In regular drill mode the drill will cut 3/4" holes in PT lumber with a spade bit w/o much effort, and cut 2-1/8" lockset holes with a hole saw with no more effort. The hammer drill function is similarly good. I've drilled quite a few 1/2" x 6" deep holes in 20 year old concrete with it. It gets pretty warm but never slows down. The impact driver is amazing. I've driven 8" timber screws into PT beams with it w/o predrilling. 3" and 4" screws in PT lumber are child's play; it will drive them all day long on 2 batteries, at least as fast as I work. For light work it's too powerful and you have to be careful not to snap off the screw. Actually, it will snap off 4" GRK construction screws, too, if you horse on them too much. Never had a bit of trouble with either tool in 2 years.

I just bought the M18 6-1/2" circular saw. I bought this one new as a bare tool, again from CPO for about $109 to my door. I've used it to cut up a few sheets of 3/4" plywood into planter boxes. The miter adjustment is very nice and solid, and the saw cuts great with the stock blade about as fast as you can push it through the sheet. It drains the battery pretty fast though. I think I drained a fully charged battery in less than 2 sheets, although there were quite a few cuts that needed to be made. Probably less than 100 ft of cutting though. I'm plenty happy with it for what I paid for it but think the Fuel version is likely a lot more capable if $ are not a concern.

John

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I bought a 9 tool kit in 2008 and replaced one of the original 2 batteries this Jan., I used most off the tools hard while I was still farming and only the impact driver is losing some off it's "oomph" now. I also bought a large kit as a gift for my son a few years ago when he graduated from college, he uses his tools every day at work and loves them.
    Buy brushless tools if you can and when buying batteries check the AH ratings, not only the price. I believe they offer a 9 AH battery now which is very impressive.

I used to use Makita cordless drills professionally but changed about 6 or 7 years ago to Milwaukee. I won't be changing back. The engineering shop uses dewalt and they are forever replacing failed batteries. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I have a M18 hammer drill and impact driver; bought them as a refurbished set with two 3 aH batteries and a 12/18V charger from CPO for about $200 2 years ago. They looked and smelled new. The only thing I noticed slightly amiss is the drill doesn't spin exactly true, there is just a slight bit of runout in it which doesn't really effect it in use. Don't know if others are like that, it has something to do with the hammer drill feature, or it got dinged. In any case, both tools are powerhouses. In regular drill mode the drill will cut 3/4" holes in PT lumber with a spade bit w/o much effort, and cut 2-1/8" lockset holes with a hole saw with no more effort. The hammer drill function is similarly good. I've drilled quite a few 1/2" x 6" deep holes in 20 year old concrete with it. It gets pretty warm but never slows down. The impact driver is amazing. I've driven 8" timber screws into PT beams with it w/o predrilling. 3" and 4" screws in PT lumber are child's play; it will drive them all day long on 2 batteries, at least as fast as I work. For light work it's too powerful and you have to be careful not to snap off the screw. Actually, it will snap off 4" GRK construction screws, too, if you horse on them too much. Never had a bit of trouble with either tool in 2 years.

I just bought the M18 6-1/2" circular saw. I bought this one new as a bare tool, again from CPO for about $109 to my door. I've used it to cut up a few sheets of 3/4" plywood into planter boxes. The miter adjustment is very nice and solid, and the saw cuts great with the stock blade about as fast as you can push it through the sheet. It drains the battery pretty fast though. I think I drained a fully charged battery in less than 2 sheets, although there were quite a few cuts that needed to be made. Probably less than 100 ft of cutting though. I'm plenty happy with it for what I paid for it but think the Fuel version is likely a lot more capable if $ are not a concern.

John
    I agree with the runout problem. I have the fuel drill and impact and took mine in for repair due to poor runout issues still had some bad runout with the replaced chuck. Makita actually owns a company that is known for their quality chucks and have almost no runout. I like the rest of Milwaukees line up better which is why I went with them but if I just needed a drill I may go with makita brushless because of the quality chuck.

Blog Entries
    Good feedback- thanks to all. I went by HD today and it seems the Milwaukee stuff is considerably more expensive. I want to stick with the Fuel brushless, as I did find a lot of difference with them in the M12 series. I will still likely go with the Milwaukee. I mainly need a hammer drill and cutoff saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Rumans View Post
    I have the caulking gun, I recently used it to re-caulk my kitchen and master bath. What a time saver, as well as saving my arm from all the squeezing.
    It can empty a tube in 3 seconds.