Thread: Irwin Parallel Clamps & Router Lift Options?

Irwin Parallel Clamps & Router Lift Options?

Two Questions here:

1) How are the Irwin Parallel Clamps? Rockler has them for 50% off! $20-$24 for 24" & 48" models. That's very inexpensive. However, they arent worth a dime if they are terrible. I have a bunch of bar clamps and a few rockler blue aluminum clamps. Almost pulled the trigger on 4 of each of the Irwins but wanted to get everyones thoughts first.

http://www.rockler.com/irwin-parallel-clamp-48

2) Incra Router lift vs MLCS motorized lift?

I have an Incra router table and their router lift is always $349.99. It has the magnetic center rings which I also have. I don't have a lift and find it a pain to reach down and constantly adjust. Rockler has a 20% of the lift making it around $320 after taxes I believe.

http://www.rockler.com/incra-master-...rockler-tables

Now, MLCS has a motorized lift with a foot pedal. It's more at $499 but does allow for up plunge cuts and things like that. I'd have to add another $30 so my Bosch router would fit.....unless I also get a bigger 3hp router.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...ht=router+lift

Cost shouldn't be an issue as I'm proposing tonight and the soon to be fiance said she'd get me a watch or tool as my equivalent to a ring hahah! Sweet!

I just sole my 6 Irwin parallel clamps on CL today. I hated them. I have Bessy and Jets also. I bought them when HD was closing them out and switching to Bessys. The screw is too fine a thread and takes a long time to clamp something down. It seemed like I was always fussing with them to release or clamp.

I have the Incra (Jessem) Master Lift II. Absolutely top notch, no regrets, and I'm sure you'll hear similar from others. Sounds lik a good price, jump on it.

Haven't heard anything pro or con on the MLCS.

Sounds like your proposal has already been accepted, so I'll just wish you well!

Blog Entries
    I found he Irwins worth leaving behind even at 50% off. A parallel clamp that isn't and that has that much slop in it just didn't seem very useful to me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    You can have my Irwin parallel clamps for free if you come and pick them up, I'll also trow in a bottle of wine. I hate them!!!

I'll stick with my Bessys.

I have the Incra and have zero complaints. I can't really fathom the need for a motorized lift but that's just me.

That MLCS won't fit now that I look at the dimensions. Ready2rout makes a motorized lift but reviews are sparse.

Looks like the incra is the lift. I have a set of rings already. The new magnetic rings with the
    Slots for better dust collection look great too.

Rockler has a great sale on Piher clamps. Those are amazing. I must agree with the above posts, I hate my Irwin Parralel clamp.

I believe you will always be happy with the Incra lift, regardless of price. If this is your first order from Incra (probably isn't since you have the table), you will be eligible for 10% off whatever you order on the first order. The crank allows the highest level of precision and accuracy that, after measuring the router bit exposure and making one test cut, I usually am ready to go. If you have the Incra positioner and fence and then the lift, I don't believe you have the most accurate router table/lift/fence system available. One thing to check before being, though, is whether your router is compatible with the Incra lift. It likely is, but still you check. I bought mine with a PC 7518 motor which is the default compatible router with the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    That MLCS won't fit now that I look at the dimensions. Ready2rout makes a motorized lift but reviews are sparse.
    I have a Ready2Lift and can provide more details if you become interested in it. I've posted about it here for another person as well, but my reviews are less than stellar to say the least.