Thread: Silver

Silver

I engrave small pieces of silver jewelry for a local artist, it's either straight text or images of children's writing shrunk down in size (I use Inkscape to vectorize the image and will then sometimes thicken the writing a bit before importing it into the laser software) before lasering in onto the piece of jewelry. Sizes I'm working with are beween 7 - 12mm across and from 3 - 5mm high, so pretty small. Most come out well especially the straight forward text.

The finished engraving is usually filled by the artist with some type of enamel paint to make it stand out more. If possible I would like to create a dark finish with the laser settings, to save that final step.

i have played around with a few settings on the few scrap pieces of silver I have been lent, but haven't had a great deal of success yet. Can anyone give me some pointers to help achieve a darker finish, I'm using a Chinese 20w laser and the usual EZcad software.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Blog Entries
    I played around with a plated cup a while back. Setings that made the darkest mark were a metal burn setting. But it was not a black, really more of a rust. Otherwise, I just cut into plate to give engraved texture. Cermark worked, but high polished surface it didn't want to stay on. Maybe someone else can speak up, but I think you are stuck with filling.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Without carbon in the metal to help with the dark, you're limited to burning it, and as John noted, it'll be more brown than black, and most of the dark is soot that can be brushed off.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle