Thread: Preserving & finishing an old pirate chest

Preserving & finishing an old pirate chest

As far as my young son knows, this pirate chest spent 200 years under the tide line in a cave on the Oregon coast, until we dug it up. I want to preserve it as well as possible, and not damage the aged look or the burned-on skull & bones. (100lb Golden Retriever in the background for scale).

IMG_7410.jpg

In truth, it was only buried for a week, but the wood came out of a 100-year-old barn. I don't know what it is, but this being the PNW I'm guessing fir. It's old, dry, cracked. After "discovery," I soaked it in fresh water for a while to try to get the salt out. It's been sitting in the basement for two years, so I expect it's as moisture-stable as it will get.

Two questions:

1. What would be a good finish? I was thinking of a few coats of thinned tung oil, or something similar that will penetrate rather than build up. I don't care if it darkens a little.
    2. How should I fill the cracks? Or should I fill them at all? I worry about them getting gummy, filled with finish. A friend recommended epoxy putty, but I've never used that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Randall Hansen; 06-24-2017 at 3:38 PM. Reason: typo

Tung or Danish oil would give you the look you’re after. I would leave the cracks alone - it's 200 years old!
    Great story, your son will have the memories of digging it up for the rest of his life.
    I grew up in a house with a low pitch gravel roof. One Christmas morning my dad told me he had heard something on the roof the night before and we should investigate. We climbed onto the roof and there in front of us were two long tracks from Santa’s sleigh! I fell for it hook, line, & sinker ... for years! It’s one of my fondest memories.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ha! That's great. I hope he does look back on it as you do -- fondly, not as his old man hoodwinking him

I agree that it would look better with the cracks as-is. I s'pose I'll be extra careful about buildup of the tung oil.

Use light pressure compressed air (~30 psi) to blow the finish from the cracks.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney