Thread: Working With PSA Veneer on Metal

Working With PSA Veneer on Metal

Has anyone applied PSA veneer over a metal surface? I'm thinking of using it on a small frig and was wondering how well the adhesive sticks and how long it can be expected to last.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Check the application specifications for the brand you have. Some will say that you can apply it over specific types of common coatings. Prime it first with one of those and it should work. It will be critical to avoid any bare steel under the veneer or you will get corrosion however. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Thanks, Wayne.

The PSA veneer I'm looking at is from Rockler. Rockler's website says, "These veneers permanently bonds to wood, glass, plastic and metal." The application I'm looking at is using it on a small frig. The frig now has black somewhat gloss paint, maybe an enamel.

Ignore the off white color of the face frame. That's going to change.

The door is curved on the sides. I will probably have to scuff the paint. I was just wondering if this will work.

I would do it based on the information Rockler provide. I agree you need to scuff the paint first. Make sure the curved edges are pressed on very firmly. Best not to sand through the paint when preparing. Good luck with the job. It's looking good already. Cheers

Julie, I know Veneer Supplies/Joe Woodworker sell a range of paper backed veneers that can have 3M PSA applied in the factory - they are generally very helpful with application information if you send a question through their site and can probably tell you which grade of PSA is used for further research. I've used some on MDF sealed with Shellac and there's no way its ever going to come off

Thanks guys. I think I need to send off an email to Rockler, and I'll add Joe Woodworker to that list, to get some feedback.

I'm pretty sure it was from Joe Woodworker that I bought some veneer about a year ago (not PSA backed) and they were very helpful.

Thanks again to everyone. When it's done, I'll post a pic.

Julie

I'd be very surprised if you need to scuff (do you mean sand?) the enamel paint or even bare stainless steel for that matter before using a PSA film. Of course you will want to wash it clean it to get residues such as grease off it and make sure its smooth but that's it. Biggest issue will be getting it stuck down without bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I'd be very surprised if you need to scuff (do you mean sand?) the enamel paint or even bare stainless steel for that matter before using a PSA film. Of course you will want to wash it clean it to get residues such as grease off it and make sure its smooth but that's it. Biggest issue will be getting it stuck down without bubbles.
    I also don't think creating tooth for the psa is going to add anything. I also after that getting it clean will be important.

Rockler procedures recommend scuff sanding before application. Technical specifications are written for a reason. Cheers