Thread: Panel, and Smaller Size Saws are Handy!

Panel, and Smaller Size Saws are Handy!

Hi All,

My 26 inch hand saws get most of the use, but I think the smaller saws are sure handy for some jobs.Lately I have been working on my western cedar picket fence. The pickets are 3&1/2 western cedar, primarily, but also some appear to be something like white pine. I have been using a 16" 10 point crosscut Disston #7, that is vintage, but it is wonderful for that job. The lumber is fairly soft and cuts pretty easily, and one of my big saws would be unhandy along with the clamps to set on the plank and saw horses that I am using for a bench out by the fence. The 16," on the other hand, cuts like a jewel and is small enough not to be in the way.

For most things I greatly prefer my 26" and 28" hand saws, but the smaller ones are sure handy for jobs like this one.

I have often thought about a light weight, relatively small compared to my big box, carpenters tool box, with a closed top, that would be handier to carry with me when my wife and I are going on a trip in the car. (I may end up doing some small job at one of the kids houses, and don't know what I might work on or what tools it will take. Besides that there is also something woodworking, to do with the grand kids, to help them to get some practice woodworking and basically for grandpa just to enjoy the grand kids.)

At any rate I have thought 22" panel saws would be ideal for that tool box, or the 16" saws once the kids are big enough for that size saw.

At any rate, how many of you really like your panel saws, and even smaller size saws, and what do you use them for? (After using the 16" saws, I am thinking that the 22" panel saws would do anything I want with only minor drawbacks. What other thoughts do you have on panel saws?

(I consider a panel saw to be 22" and shorter, but know there is some debate on this. To me a 24" saw is basically a full size saw that is just on the shorter side of full size saws.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

l

Blog Entries
    Google vintage panel saws for a selection and also ideas for modifying longer junk saws.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-25-2017 at 5:10 PM.

Just finished one up..
    front view.jpg
    10 ppi, MIGHT be a Disston #090....

Steven,

10 ppt, the same as the 16" Stanley #7 I was using. I think that a 10 point is a good tooth size for that length. Nice job.

Stew