Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debating to buy a router lift

Thanks Greg. Well then it's either the PC or Milwaukee. I've been pretty happy with my smaller Milwaukee
    Bob C

2. I have the 5625 Milwaukee. I bought it at the suggestion of Mark at Incra tools. He said he has used many models of routers in his trade shows and demos. I seem to recall that the first time he used a Milwaukee was when a vendor provided one for his demo. I bought mine at his recommendation b/c it ran quieter and smoother (less vibration) than the others. It was noticeably smoother and than my PC's and my Dewalt. I would buy it again. Just my $0.02.

Oops. if this is hijacking, my apologies. To get on target,

Unless designs have changed, the lift mechanisms on the routers with "built-in lifts" are not as robust as the dedicated lift. I bought the Triton thinking it would save the cost of a lift. In just a few months I had to buy another prouder and a lift. Make sure you get a lift that will fit your router. The Milwaukee housing is slightly smaller than others. I had to get an Incra shim kit for it. I seem to recall that not every lift would accommodate it. Can't recall which ones would not work; that's been 7 or 8 years ago.
    Last edited by H. Gregory Porter; 07-03-2017 at 12:32 PM.

How easy is it removing the router from the Incra lift when needed for plunge work and then installing it back? I imagine I'll add a dedicated router to the incra lift at some point.

I have one router, I use the plunge router outside of my table and have the fixed base mounted in the table. The height adjustment on the bosch 1617 is not great when mounted upside down.

Almost pulled trigger on the Incra lift yesterday on Amazon, $340 shipped and arrives in 3 days. Sold by the time I decided to do it. Calling Incra tomorrow. Have a 10% off code and they will ship USPS if phoned in. Should be cheaper than UPS and faster.

It's possible to remove and replace the router you have mounted in the Incra lift, but I wouldn't recommend it. After a few times removing and reinstalling the motor, I know I would find a way to buy a dedicated motor for the lift.

Triton is not bankrupt. As to the quality, I would check the reviews you will see it highly rated in almost every one. I did quite a bit of due diligence before buying mine.

Maybe it's been redesigned but I've found the adjustment very smooth and quite adequate, but that may not suffice for some. BTW, if you forget to release the lock that is hard on any gear. ;-)

I just finished a cabinet project with raised panel doors. I was very pleased with the adjustment on the Triton. I found it to be accurate enough to give me perfect cope and stick joints. The power was amazing.

Changing bits without removing router is also a major feature for me.

For cabinetmaking etc it should be all you need. IMO save your money on a lift, buy the Triton, and you'll have a spare handheld which you need anyway.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 08-17-2017 at 8:25 AM.

I believe the Incra lifts are actually Woodpecker lifts but with a nicer magnetic insert plate system.

I have purchased 2 different Woodpecker lifts and had problems with both. First was the heavy duty version - PRL? It kept binding up when covered with dust. Sent it in and worked when returned but started binding very shortly after again. Sold it and got the version with the thumb wheel. It worked for a few months and now doesn't lift or lower. Not sure if other brands are any better. Using the big Porter Cable with it.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 08-17-2017 at 9:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Currently my router -- a Milwaukee-- sits in my table saw and it serves me pretty well but I think it's time to build a dedicated router table. So I'm wondering how convenient a lift would be. I bought the current router partly because of its above the table height adjustment but I found I never really used it. I'd just pop the router out and change the bits out of the table and I'd reach under to adjust it.

Is a router lift much different. I don't mind investing the 300-400 but I don't want to waste it.

For what hat it's worth the two lifts I'm thinking about are the incra and the woodpeckers.

Any insight is appreciated.
    I've been using the same lift (woodpecker PRL) since 2003, and would not think of not having it. I am also using the incra fence that is fantastic and adjustable to the thou. Next to TS most used tool in the shop. I'd build my own table.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjY6e4rF

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    I believe the Incra lifts are actually Woodpecker lifts but with a nicer magnetic insert plate system.

I have purchased 2 different Woodpecker lifts and had problems with both. First was the heavy duty version - PRL? It kept binding up when covered with dust. Sent it in and worked when returned but started binding very shortly after again. Sold it and got the version with the thumb wheel. It worked for a few months and now doesn't lift or lower. Not sure if other brands are any better. Using the big Porter Cable with it.
    Peter,

Incra sells two different lifts, the MastRLift II (made by Jessem) and the PRL V2 (made by Woodpeckers). Mine is the MastRLift II, but your post is the first I've seen about dust/chips binding up either one of them. In my case, I imagine I would have seen the problem, as I don't (yet) have dust collection under the table.

Thanks. Mine was the original PRL with the chain drive that would bind up. They repaired it but it soon started getting harder to move. Sold it with full disclosure. Could have been a tolerance issue vs dust but they were known to have some issues. The wheeled version no longer reacts to the wheel. Have not tried to really investigate it yet as have been busy working on house. Will probably send it in then sell it as think I am done with their lifts.

I'm using the Bosch 1617 fixed base as my 'lift'. It's mounted in my table to an Incra gold plate. The fixed base allows for height adjustment when unlocked. It's very frustrating to have to unlock it thought, reaching under the cabinet. Also, when out of the table and dialed in for a height, once placed in the table and unlocked to, the bit will drop 1/8-1/4". The mechanism I don't think likes the weight of the motor and up and down isnt smooth.

I also have the Incra LS positioner system and used to their magnetic plate and inserts.

Think I may just go for it, ordering the Mast R lift II. I'm 35 and if it last 10+ years, that's only $35 a year for no worries and dead on accuracy right??

Patrick,

I used to use a Bosch 1617 in a table myself, and I know what you're saying. On the adjustment mechanism, there is a threaded rod that is secured with a flimsy circular spring washer (Circlip??). When the router is upside down, mounted in a table, that spring washer is bearing the weight of the router. After trying a Bandaid solution for a while, I finally gave up and bought the MastRLift II. Whole different world, and yes, dead on accuracy is dead on easy to dial in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Peter,

Incra sells two different lifts, the MastRLift II (made by Jessem) and the PRL V2 (made by Woodpeckers). Mine is the MastRLift II, but your post is the first I've seen about dust/chips binding up either one of them. In my case, I imagine I would have seen the problem, as I don't (yet) have dust collection under the table.
    I have the MastRLift II and have not had problems with the lift binding. However, I have pulled the lift/router out and cleaned it off at least once since I bought it. I can't imagine any lift not accumulating some dust and chips. There is some lubrication on this lift and that alone attracts some sawdust. I love the precision of the MasterLift. It allows me to fine tune any depth setting to my satisfaction. It's a little more effort to wind the lift all the way up for changing bits, but the precision it allows is worth it.

Wodpeckers lift with Porter cable here. Love the setup.
    Yes, the wheel is stiff, but in a good way. It reassures me that the setting will remain true. I use a dial indicator for height, and get it exactly where I want, with incredible repeatability.IMG_00000013.jpgDSCN0410.jpgdownload.jpg

It's not that difficult. Once you get it set up initially, there's just a single cap screw that you loosen to release the router. Easy - peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    How easy is it removing the router from the Incra lift when needed for plunge work and then installing it back? I imagine I'll add a dedicated router to the incra lift at some point.

I have one router, I use the plunge router outside of my table and have the fixed base mounted in the table. The height adjustment on the bosch 1617 is not great when mounted upside down.

Almost pulled trigger on the Incra lift yesterday on Amazon, $340 shipped and arrives in 3 days. Sold by the time I decided to do it. Calling Incra tomorrow. Have a 10% off code and they will ship USPS if phoned in. Should be cheaper than UPS and faster.

I spent more than you indicated you want to spend, but I don't regret a penny of it: Woodpecker V2 lift in a Benchdog cast iron table with a dedicated PC router (the big one) and a Woodpecker fence. The thumbwheel isn't an issue for me because, once you get used to it, the lift mechanism gets you pretty darn close. I understand the appeal of a crank to raise and lower the router, but the Woodpecker V2 system is so fast I don't see how it could be faster any other way. It's weird, but it works very well.

This setup is rock solid, keeps its settings all day, and is simply a joy. No fiddling or workarounds required - just set it and go. This was definitely a buy once, cry once situation, but now all I do is smile.