Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debating to buy a router lift

I cannot speak to the Woodpeckers.

The Incra lift is great for a couple reasons:

I chose it over the Jessem because at the time only the Incra insert rings were magnetic. These make them easy to snap in and snap out as you change bits.

Incra fences and lifts excel at micro adjustment. I like the above table bit changes, but I NEED the micro height adjustment.

The downside of my Incra (and I suspect this is user error - not the product) but I have a Milwaukee 5625 in the Incra Master Lift 2, and I find that the bit doesn't go low enough with taller bits like a spiral or straight bit. I made an auxiliary table to allow shallow passes; or you could just use a shorter bit...

Which fence are you considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I cannot speak to the Woodpeckers.

The Incra lift is great for a couple reasons:

I chose it over the Jessem because at the time only the Incra insert rings were magnetic. These make them easy to snap in and snap out as you change bits.

Incra fences and lifts excel at micro adjustment. I like the above table bit changes, but I NEED the micro height adjustment.

The downside of my Incra (and I suspect this is user error - not the product) but I have a Milwaukee 5625 in the Incra Master Lift 2, and I find that the bit doesn't go low enough with taller bits like a spiral or straight bit. I made an auxiliary table to allow shallow passes; or you could just use a shorter bit...

Which fence are you considering?
    I have the Incra lift too. I wouldn't want to go back to my old router table without it. Mine sits in what is essentially the NYW deluxe router table. I also have a micro adjust for the fence.

Regarding that Incra lift - it's actually the Jessem lift. I got it because I liked the lift mechanism and the plate was the same size as the Rockler plate. It could drop into my already existing router table.

I'll go ahead and comment on two issues:

First, I'm not a fan of router lifts. I've have them at work since they became commercially available and in all my years heavily using routers/router tables, I don't see THAT much difference. Personally, I have chosen to have multiple plunge routers and fixed base routers in shop made tables rather than tie up that much cash in one table. If I hit the lottery tomorrow, or space dictated that I could only have one router table (gasp....) I might change my mind.

Second, as someone who has purchased the BenchDog lifts since they first came out (for work), the current BenchDog lift is still first class. The current plastic inserts however are an absolute embarrassment to what used to be a first rate tool. Absolute junk. I would avoid the BenchDog lift, even though I really like the lift itself simply because the inserts are unusable. I have one insert that is 1/16" off of flat........and that's the good one.

To go a much less expensive route...I bought a Router Raizer many years ago. I use it with a Hitachi MV12. It works very well and was well worth the money. Just another option!

Tony

Personally I never bought a router lift simply because I couldn't justify the money tied up in it. I guess if I used it everyday maybe...

FYI theTriton router has a quite satisfactory above table built in router lift.
    Another plus you don't have to take the router out to change bits.

Then keep the Milwaukee for a spare hand router.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Currently my router -- a Milwaukee-- sits in my table saw and it serves me pretty well
    My $.02:
    Since that's a pretty decent set up for you it will cost you more to feel the upgrade. Think PC 7518 or the like. And a Cast Iron Lift and Table.

I bought and use a Jessem Mast-r-lift II lift, and a Bench Dog cast iron extension for my Unisaw. I've been satisfied with both.

I think where you would see the most benefit of a lift would be if you use your router table for joinery. Sneaking up on depth of cut is just so much more precise and secure. This was something I had to experience first hand to appreciate. I was thinking a router lift just made it easier to lift a router.

I have a Woodpecker PRL-V2 and find no problems using the thumb wheel. In fact, I find it handy and accurate. Woodpecker has a good reputation with standing behind their products too though it's not often necessary.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Look for deals on V1 Woodpecker lifts.

I have the Incra lift and think it's the top end f accurate and precise. The crank type height adjustment is extremely precise. I can usually dial it to almost exactly where I want it on the first try; second at worst. Plus, if after making the cuts, I decide I need just a hair more depth, I can do that easily.

If you are considering a router for the table, there are a lot of them that will work with the Incra lift. When I upgraded my table and bought the lift, I decided to buy the Porter Cable 7518 motor with the lift so that I would have a dedicated router for just the table. That motor installs with no adjustments to the lift as it is default for the PC 7518. It's difficult to install and uninstall a router that's mounted in the table if you want to use it handheld. The PC7518 has plenty of power for anything you would want to do.

When you build or buy a table, you should consider under table dust collection also. There are a variety of ways to do that, but Incra has the CleanSweep under table shroud which I have. Other companies have them also. If you're making your table, consider Rockler's under table unit. It is comparatively inexpensive and, based on reviews, seems to work well. Just need to make sure that it works with your table and router so that there is enough clearance under the table.

Fence...I haven't even thought much about it yet.

So one thing seems to come thru as I read these posts... seems that one of the big advantages of a lift is the ability to really fine tune the vertical position...which I can see would be super useful for joinery. What I'm spending 99% of my time doing is building cabinets for the house -- garage, workshop and frog. So dust control (more so than joinery today) and wanting to get the router out of my 50" table saw table is a big motivation. That and the mobility of a portable. My plan is to build the typical Norm A table. I'm so doing I was thinking it may get tough to pull the router out all the time to change bits...sitting out in the open under my tablesaw I had lots of room ...and thus dust.

The plate I have right now in my table saw is a phenolic woodpeckers and it works well but the rings are (reverse) threaded and I would imagine the magnetic version from Incra might be quicker to swap out...but that's really a nit.

Let me finish this so I can read this thread I see about festoon buying sawstop...I assume it's true as it's not 4/1
    Last edited by Bob Cooper; 06-26-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Bob C

You are definitely looking at the two best lifts on the market and cannot go wrong with either. I've had/have both. Sold the Woodpecker PRL-V2 recently and purchased the Incra. On the Woodpecker you have quicker/easier ability to raise the unit for bits changes. Also I did not find the thumb wheel difficult to use. The continuous crank handle on the Incra gives a little better control moving the unit up and down. Think I favor the Incra a hair better than the Woodpecker but like I said, can't go wrong with either. Ford vs Chevy
    Last edited by julian abram; 06-28-2017 at 12:31 AM.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    All thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure I'll pull the trigger. Seems like both companies I'm considering make very good quality tools. Is there a big difference between these two lifts? I'll likely buy a new router as well...maybe the triton 3HP.

This is getting $$ fast
    I had the triton 3hp. It quickly broke. They use cheap plastic gears for height adjust. Teeth stripped out. They went into bankruptcy. warranty was not honored. It was a couple of years before I could get a few replacement plastic gears. Had to buy another router (Milwaukee).