Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Debating to buy a router lift

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    It's not that difficult. Once you get it set up initially, there's just a single cap screw that you loosen to release the router. Easy - peasy.
    Just to be clear, you need to pull the lift and router out of the table before releasing the router from the lift. You'll then likely need to re-level the whole apparatus when you put it back in. For me, not really easy-peasy.

Blog Entries
    Not much to add. I have an old Woodpeckers lift for my old Hitachi M12V and couldn't live without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Sorry for jumping in late. I had this same discussion a few years ago - and ended up buying a Triton router instead of a router lift. The Triton can be adjusted via a tabletop knob while mounted under the table. It is extremely easy to use and saves you quite a few bucks. You might want to look at that.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    Sorry for jumping in late. I had this same discussion a few years ago - and ended up buying a Triton router instead of a router lift. The Triton can be adjusted via a tabletop knob while mounted under the table. It is extremely easy to use and saves you quite a few bucks. You might want to look at that.

I have a Triton also. Way cheaper than a lift. I figured by the time I buy a 2-3hp router, table, plate, lift, fence I'd be within $100 of a shaper with more capabilities so why bother. The Triton has worked great but I don't do production work. If I was I think I'd opt for the shaper and just be done with it.

For those who have or are contemplating getting a router lift that permits above-the-table bit changes: an offset router collet wrench (available from Woodcraft and elsewhere) can save a lot of cranking!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I tried the Triton in my table, trying to avoid a lift and was frustrated with it, I had it connected to a dust collector and it was a pain to change bits and turn it off an on, reaching under the table. I bit the bullet and went with the Incra Mast-R-Lift II, PC 7518 router, remote power switch and the full Incra Clean Sweep dust collection system. I haven't regretted spending the money on the setup and with the Wonder fence installed, there just aren't any dust problems. I use the Triton for hand plunge routing now and it's OK but the way the clear dust shield is installed it can get hard to see what you are doing, even with dust collection attached.
    Last edited by Earl Rumans; 08-18-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    Earl

I built a router table similar to Norm's layout with a router lift based upon a design in an old American Woodworker article built in. It was around $100 for some machined steel rods, oilite bearings and other pieces. A piece of all thread with 16 thread per inch moves it up and down. I either hand crank it or use a nut driver in a drill. The top hinges up for bit changes. I've built several router tables but this is the last one for me. Works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    I have one also, and yes one can adjust it from the top of the table. However, the problem I, and others, have had is, during routing, the adjustment knob backs out. Meaning, when you unlock the router, it falls from the current setting. So, you really aren't starting from the same height/position you just had. One work-around is to tighten the adjustment knob underneath before unlocking router. Hence, I personally don't see the above adjustment feature a plus on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I built a router table similar to Norm's layout with a router lift based upon a design in an old American Woodworker article built in. It was around $100 for some machined steel rods, oilite bearings and other pieces. A piece of all thread with 16 thread per inch moves it up and down. I either hand crank it or use a nut driver in a drill. The top hinges up for bit changes. I've built several router tables but this is the last one for me. Works.
    Interesting, 53 responses so far and only one shop made router lift recommendation. I also have a shop made one, mine is based on Steve Ramsey's Youtube video and is installed in a shop made router table built into my table saw. May not be as precise as some of the purchased ones but works for me. I can adjust height and change bits from above the table.