Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trend air shield

Trend air shield

can you wire these units in direct so I can eliminate the charging. I know you are limited in movement but I really am only wearing it at the lathe. Every thing I need for the lathe is within arms reach
    thanks
    Al

2. I just got my second Trend Airshield Pro, and I have had my first one for over 5 years. The unit has a circuit board inside it, and likely has electronic circuitry that uses only D/C power from the battery pack. I do not know that for certain, but I think its a pretty good bet. If you follow charging instructions, you likely will not have problems.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I own one also. The best bet is to buy an extra battery or two. Mine usually lasts several hours on a charge. Depending on how long is your longest stretch in the shop, buying an extra 2 batteries should cover it. Don't know what you mean by wiring in "direct so" but would just use them as designed. Connecting the shield to a power source would just limit your movement and make it likely the power line would be pulled from its source when you move too far or catch it with your arm.

You'll find that 'tethering' to be cumbersome...I know I did. If your battery won't hold a charge for more than a few hours it needs changing. Recommend getting the Tenergy charger and a new battery. Worked wonders for me and my battery 'beep' has not gone off once even on a six to seven hour run.

Is it possible to have the Trend air shield plugged in to the charger while you are wearing and using it?

I changed to a Tenergy charger when I got my new unit (dropped the old unit too many times and battery was also going bad). I will often take it off when at a break point in action and not generating dust, and connect it to the charger. I have yet to have the battery give out before I do. I did add a hanger strap (a loop of string) to hang the unit close to where I am working since the unit does not have a good hanging point (see initial comment about dropping original too many times). I would hate to try to work with a cord attached.

I have a second battery and an external charger. So far, as one gets discharged, the other is ready to go. I really like mine. Nice to breathe better.

If the batteries are weak, it might be worthwhile and cheaper to rebuilt. I believe there is an old thread on here about rebuilding them. I rebuilt both of mine and also bought the Tenergy charger. I believe I shortened the life of the first set by overcharging them since I tended to plug it in and forgot about it since I don't turn everyday.

To those that have the Tenergy charger setup, which unit did you buy?

Thanks, Brian
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

10. Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks Roger!

In order to prevent overcharging I just use a light timer. Mine uses pins to turn on and off so I removed the on pin set it to run for 16 hrs. and it turns off at the end of that time. Timer continues to run but won't turn the charger on again until I turn it on manually.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I assume you get good results charging it for 16 hours, but the guy I talked with when discussing charging indicated that 16 hours would be too long and would likely be over charging. I generally charge mine only about 6 - 8 hours and get a full charge from that.

14. I have the batteries rebuilt at Batteries Plus for $35/ea about every 18 to 24 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I assume you get good results charging it for 16 hours, but the guy I talked with when discussing charging indicated that 16 hours would be too long and would likely be over charging. I generally charge mine only about 6 - 8 hours and get a full charge from that.
    I thought I got the 16 hr from the manual but that may have been initial charge, if you are getting good results with 8 hrs I'll cut mine back and see how it works. As is the batteries generally last me 3 or 4 sessions as my back gives out long before the batteries do.
    Last edited by Rick Gibson; 07-06-2017 at 9:41 PM.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project