Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Parent (TTS) Buying Sawstop

The patents list sd3 llc as the assigned. I agree the whole deal has been very cryptic but nothing has been said about sd3. My understanding was sawstop was the liscensed manufacture for the tech.

OK guys, stop ignoring the real questions on everyone's mind.....

Will the next saw stop you buy:

1. be GREEN?
    2. come in a systainer?
    3. connect to a Festool vaccum?
    4. save German sausages rather than hot dogs? (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_sausages)

what did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

1. save German sausages rather than hot dogs? (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_sausages)

what did I miss?
    Well I'll vote for that!

Good German sausages are far more deserving of being saved than crappy old hot dogs

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

1. be GREEN?
    2. come in a systainer?
    3. connect to a Festool vaccum?
    4. save German sausages rather than hot dogs? (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_sausages)

what did I miss?
    If I had to buy a new SS under the new ownership (not that I'd need a new one unless mine is stolen or destroyed by someone who really really hates it because of it's red or because it's imported or because it has that finger-saving thing), I'd definitely want it to be GREEN, because I enjoy and want to do more green woodworking.

Simon

It has been stated on the FOG by the site administrator (a Festool employee) that Sawstop's portfolio of patents WILL be taken over by TTS.

I hope this means that we'll eventually see the SS tech in a true european style slider!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    It has been stated on the FOG by the site administrator (a Festool employee) that Sawstop's portfolio of patents WILL be taken over by TTS.
    Googled and found your source, and this additional piece of official news there in response to someone's question about expanding the SS into Europe and Asia:

"Following the take-over, we will look into plans for expansion with SawStop and will put such plans into practice if and to the extent that they are promising to be successful. We will be taking these decisions at a subsequent point in time."

I hope when the grand plan is put in place, the SS will not benefit not only the people who want a SS, but also one day it will improve the safety of users of other machines, like the mitre saws, bandsaws, etc. I know some people still drive not wearing their seat belts, it is their choice.

Why TTS is buying SS? Could this be one of the reasons? http://toolguyd.com/yet-another-tabl...afety-lawsuit/
    Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-27-2017 at 6:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    I hope this means that we'll eventually see the SS tech in a true european style slider!
    I hope not! Euro sliders are safer by nature of their operation - last thing that's needed is to load them up with a device that isn't necessary

Dumb people use sliders too. Seen it with my own eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    I hope not! Euro sliders are safer by nature of their operation - last thing that's needed is to load them up with a device that isn't necessary
    Have you looked under the hood of a high-end slider lately? They have more electronics and computing power than the Space Shuttle (some hyperbole).

I dropped back by just to see the internet breaking when two of the most talked about tool companies end up under one umbrella, honestly, I am disappointed, there is far more discussion when someone opines about the "best" way to sharpen a plane iron...

This purchase looks like a gear up for the table saw safety wars which I see heating up in the next few years, WINTER IS COMING.

I'll go on record now and say if they make a green and cream SS, I will buy it, well only if it is a ICS level saw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If you recall in the beginning he wanted to sell his idea to the big boys and they did not want any part of it, so he made a saw company for his invention. Festool is a great company that knows safety and quality and ergonomics, so it will be a good mate. Now if B&D had got them a whole diff story.

My sawstop ICS is 1st class in features and quality, and CS is off the charts, so is Festool. Good fit for both.

My guess (hope) is that they will immediately abandon those worthless Chinese plywood fence faces & replace them with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post

No argument that sliders are safer than cabinet saws or even a SS cabinet saw. But certainly adding a brake to a slider would make ripping operations (when using the rip fence) safer, no?

If you have a 10' stroke on your slider, I know you don't need to use the rip fence. But for smaller hobby sized sliders, I think it would be a nice benefit!

if the proposed cpsc rule goes through this time, it will not matter, all new saws will have to have a brake.

If you read the proposal, it requires that a table saw safety system will result in a maximum laceration of 3.5 mm or about an 1/8". That is significantly more than what a Sawstop allows. They are also looking at 3 year period before the rule would be enforced.

Based upon this proposed rule, I wonder how many companies were interested in buying Sawstop.