Thread: Large Bi Fold Door Hardware

Large Bi Fold Door Hardware

Hello All,

I thought I might ask here to see if anyone has a preference when it comes to Large Door Bi Fold Hardware. The reason I say large doors is, I want to build doors for an opening between my house and a sun room I added on a few years back. The opening has been there where a once previous 6' sliding door was. Just today I removed the original door frame and now my thoughts are to build bi fold doors with glass in them to fold to the walls. The reason normal doors would not work is because if they swing in they would take up too much room in the dining area and if they swing out there is a door they would cover. Bi Folds are really my best choice here, the walls are about 12" inches thick because of the brick and insulation and framing. I then only protrude into each room approximately 3-4 inches if I'm calculating correctly. Even if I have to cheat towards the sun room a bit that would still be better than a normal two swinging doors.

I've not searched yet online because I thought I'd ask here for opinions on manufactures of heavy duty bi fold hardware. I'm thinking I would like to build them about 1.375 to 1.50" thick. They can be up to 1.75" also if that is what works. Cherry with a semi frosted or water fall glass in them. They will mostly be open but it will be nice to close off the sun room if someone wants to read while everyone else is in the living/kitchen area.

I did not know if hardware that heavy would need a bottom track as well as the upper track? It would be ok if I had to install a lower track. i can bury it in the floor while I have the opening not finished.

thank you for reading and hopefully one of you can direct me to a product that you have used and liked.

take care
    Ben
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Johnson Hardware is a good source for this stuff.

have you thought about accordion door I installed 9 ft doors that only take up about 15 inches when open and 0nlt about 6 inches wide

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Does any place sell the Centor hardware to consumers? All their links are to door manufacturers.

I changed a couple of mine to Johnson's heavy duty hardware and recommend it. The doors hang from the track at the top and can't fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beonme View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Does any place sell the Centor hardware to consumers? All their links are to door manufacturers.
    John, I don't think they sell to consumers. Hafele at one time offered a similar hardware but not sure if they do anymore. These systems come from Australia.

i just reread the OPs post. I did not realize these were interior doors. I have used both Johnson and Hawa (from Hafele)
    Hawa runs a lot smoother and better quality but a lot more cost than Johnson.

I was just talking to a Hafele rep the other day about pocket door hardware and never thought about bi fold hardware. I looked on their site but did not find anything. Hopefully I kept his business card. I'll look at the Hawa. I've never heard of it before
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

I think the only folding door hardware offered by Hafele these days is a bi-fold/pocket door system.
    If you learn otherwise please tell. I have been trying to find something more elegant than the Johnson carpenter grade stuff.

Thanks and good luck in your search.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I have contacted the Hafele rep but he has not returned my emails. So much for all the hype he told me about anytime I need something to get a hold of him. I would like to have options other than Johnson co. I was hoping for a European company that would offer something with a more than just a rail and wheels.

Look in the Architectural catalogue.
    https://www.hafele.com/INTERSHOP/web...?startpage=0.1