Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd car garage - Which table saw option works best?

3rd car garage - Which table saw option works best?

I am finally making the move from a two car garage that has two cars in it along with my workshop to a three car garage where I will be setting up my first true dedicated shop in the third spot. Right now I have a nice Dewalt miter saw on the bench that runs the back part of my garage and a nice Bosch portable table saw I have to drag out when I want to use it. Naturally I have a portable table saw because I don't have dedicated space for a table saw currently but I am thinking that will change in my new garage. My question is with a third car garage setup what do most people find that works best for them. I tried doing some searches, but I guess I am not able to pinpoint threads that are helping me. I don't want to say money is not an issue, but I have no problem plunking down a grand or more for a really nice saw that would outlive me, but I am thinking while space won't be as much of an issue as it use to be space will still be somewhat of an issue especially for my dream cabinet saw.

What is everyone's recommended setup and naturally if you have a specific saw you would recommend I would love to hear it.

For bells and whistles I would love to have both the table saw and router in one table. And at least currently I don't have a lot of additional larger tools such as a drill press or lathe so I don't foresee the problem of trying to cram in a bunch of other tools into this area. For the most part beyond tools that fit in the cabinets I am a miter saw, table saw, router type of guy.

Thanks in advance

I added an old cast iron table saw top to my principle Unisaw and mounted a 3-1/2 hp Stanley router beneath it. The Unifence services both saw and router.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I just sold my Jet cabinet style table saw. It was on wheels and came equipped with an extension table that I could mount a router on. I think a saw of this type would work well. Unfortunately, I've never seen another Jet saw like it. Jet does not now offer that option. However, you might be able to modify the extension and turn it into a router table. A good used Jet goes for $1200 to $1500 depending on where you are, age of machine, condition, etc. BTW, I would definitely budget some bucks for a dust collector and an air cleaner to keep wood dust off of your cars and out of your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Merikle View Post
    I don't want to say money is not an issue, but I have no problem plunking down a grand or more for a really nice saw that would outlive me, but I am thinking while space won't be as much of an issue as it use to be space will still be somewhat of an issue especially for my dream cabinet saw.

What is everyone's recommended setup and naturally if you have a specific saw you would recommend I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance
    Do you hate SawStop or its inventor for any reasons (the reasons don't have to be logical or reasonable)? If the answer is yes, skip the rest.

You want a saw that would outlive you (at least until a better cabinet saw comes onto the market), get the SS. The SawStop is the dream saw for many people (who didn't answer yes to the above question). If you don't have the budget yet, use whatever you have been using and wait until you have the budget and get the SS. It is worth the wait!

It isn't 1 grand (but you said 1 grand or more), but it will be an investment you won't regret. I am not just talking about the finger saving technology, its quality from sawing to dust collection is the best you can get for hobbyist woodworkers. Get the Prof. model, the upgraded fence and the overarm dust collection (and the hydraulic mobile base if you need to move it around), and you will never need a second tablesaw.

I have used the SS for almost 7 years now and it has never failed me.

Simon

If you continually find it difficult to stay focused, if your mind constantly wanders while running power tools, if you have extremely poor hand/eye coordination, if mechanical things confuse you, if working with tools has always been a mystery to you, if you are constantly injuring yourself on the simplest tasks, get the Saw Stop.

I am set up in one stall of a three car garage.
    I have a JET cabinet saw with a 52" fence. I have it placed about 6 feet from the tip of the saw blade to the back wall. This allows me to crosscut a 4 foot wide plywood and room to stand. The saw is also on wheels if I need extra room like ripping a 8 foot sheet of plywood. I almost never move the saw.
    At the end of the left side of the saw I have my JET 6" jointer. Also on wheels if I need to move it. The jointer I do move often as it sits higher than the saw and gets in the way.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I added an old cast iron table saw top to my principle Unisaw and mounted a 3-1/2 hp Stanley router beneath it. The Unifence services both saw and router.

I like the scrap plywood storage under the saw. May have to use that idea.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

DL--I can't bring myself to throw anything away.

Draw up a to scale floor plan of your new space and include the tools your considering purchasing and start maneuvering things around. Use Microsoft Visio if you have it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have had great luck with my used Delta Unisaw with a router table I attached. It seems like the flood of sawstops has really driven the delta pricing down to a reasonable number. A 3 horse motor is a great perk when you jump into the cabinet saw world. Being in a small garage hobby shop like you, I ended up loping off a good chunk of my fence (herecy, I know ) so I only have 40" capacity. This probably kills the resale value, but I can now actually move around the shop. It is also pretty rare I need to saw something wider than 30" for the projects I do since I end up breaking down sheet goods outside with a circular saw where there is more room. Good luck with the saw shopping!

Forget to add in my recommendation that SS has excellent resale prices compared to many other cabinet saws. Non-SS haters are easy to find on Craiglist or Kijiji.

Simon

With 180?-200? sq ft, I would recommend that you make your table saw and all other power tools mobile, which ever brand you buy. There will be times when you need to wiggle things around to accommodate what you are working on. I highly endorse the idea of putting a router in the top of your table saw to save floor space.

Make sure you make room for some dust collection gear.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

A Grizzly cabinet saw would be your best bet if you are trying to keep in budget and they are a good saw at that price point. SS are good but are over twice the price. So keep in budget or go big.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I am in a similar situation in my basement. I sold my jet table saw and use a bosch portable saw and just purchased some festool products. I feel this along with a 17" band saw, router table, and ridgid miter saw will work well. I do not think a traditional table saw is warranted in a small space. There are many other ways to accomplish work.
    Cutting rough stock lumber is like scrambling an egg, there is no going back

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    If you continually find it difficult to stay focused, if your mind constantly wanders while running power tools, if you have extremely poor hand/eye coordination, if mechanical things confuse you, if working with tools has always been a mystery to you, if you are constantly injuring yourself on the simplest tasks, get the Saw Stop.
    Or if you're just human and don't want that once in a lifetime incident to result in people calling you stumpy, buy the SawStop.

If I were to ever buy a North American style table saw again (which I wouldn't do), I would buy a Saw Stop.

If you do have the money to buy a SS cabinet saw, consider a Minimax or Hammer slider instead, much greater accuracy capacity and capability than a cabinet saw, in a similar footprint........Regards, Rod.