Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fe$tool Buys SawStop

Fe$tool Buys SawStop

As seen on the Fine Woodworking site, Fe$tool bought SawStop.

"Tualatin, Oregon – June 26, 2017: SawStop today announced the acquisition of SawStop, LLC by TTS Tooltechnic Systems, a third-generation family-owned company based in Wendlingen, Germany. The TTS family of companies includes Festool, Tanos, Cleantec and others, and employs more than 2,500 people around the globe."

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/...l-buys-sawstop

Yowza! This will be interesting. Are there future Festool tools coming with the break tech?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Does that mean Sawstop wasn't doing that well? Usually, very successful companies don't get sold.

Probably doing fine. Value probably increased with recent import protection wins. All private companies get sold as owners choose to retire.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

We already have a thread on it: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Does that mean Sawstop wasn't doing that well? Usually, very successful companies don't get sold.
    Actually, both very successful and very unsuccessful companies get sold, the former at a much higher price. Amazon, FB, Google etc. have paid billions to buy very successful companies while the opposite has been true with the oil industry in recent years.

No info. is (or will be) released on the money that SS owners will get, but since they won the patent battle, one can reasonably assume that the deal would be sweeter to them than otherwise.

Simon

A

That is odd. Premium German tool manufacture buys American importer of mediocre tool?

Mediocre ??? Hardly .....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    thats not even close to how it works by your assumption since all of these company used to independent they must all be un successful http://i.imgur.com/pnMMj.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kintner View Post
    Mediocre ??? Hardly .....
    Yes, if one considered these as being mediocre:

1) It is the best cabinet saw in safety (despite all the rumors and fabricated stories, no one has sued SS because its safety feature failed to work)

2) It has one of the best over-arm dust collection features

3) It has one of the best hydraulic mobile bases for a cabinet saw

4) It has one of the best saw fences for a cabinet saw

5) Its sawing quality is also one of the best among cabinet saws

6) Its assembly manual is one of the best for any machine, not just for tablesaws.

Oh, yes, it is a mediocre machine to those who do not or never own a SS.

Simon

Already being discussed:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Buying-Sawstop

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Yes, if one considered these as being mediocre:

1) It is the best cabinet saw in safety (despite all the rumors and fabricated stories, no one has sued SS because its safety feature failed to work)

2) It has one of the best over-arm dust collection features

3) It has one of the best hydraulic mobile bases for a cabinet saw

4) It has one of the best saw fences for a cabinet saw

5) Its sawing quality is also one of the best among cabinet saws

6) Its assembly manual is one of the best for any machine, not just for tablesaws.

Oh, yes, it is a mediocre machine to those who do not or never own a SS.

Simon
    It's mediocre to anyone who's ever used a quality tablesaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    It's mediocre to anyone who's ever used a quality tablesaw.
    such as???

Apples to apples, a cabinet saw, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    such as???

Apples to apples, a cabinet saw, please.
    I'll take my #4 or type U over a Sawstop. Those are both cabinet saws, and over 50 years old. The Sawstop is on par with a 66 in my opinion. Not terrible, just not exceptional.

The T fence is pretty nice on the Sawstop, I'll give you that. I've kicked around buying a couple to replace some really beat up Biesemeyer fences.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I'll take my #4 or type U over a Sawstop. Those are both cabinet saws, and over 50 years old. The Sawstop is on par with a 66 in my opinion. Not terrible, just not exceptional.

The T fence is pretty nice on the Sawstop, I'll give you that. I've kicked around buying a couple to replace some really beat up Biesemeyer fences.
    I have listed point by point why the SS is not a mediocre cabinet saw and other than telling me how old they are, you have not provided one single bit of useful info. to support your assertion that they are better saws than the SS.

Can you do better? Quote me a review of the saws you named vs the SS. I have not seen one single bad review of the SS in any trade or woodworking journals, suggesting that it is a mediocre machine. Of course, I have heard people who have never even touched a SS say it is rubbish.

Show me where (assuming you have used the SS (assumption correct?)) the SS is mediocre please! The plastic push stick that comes with the saw?

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.