Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fe$tool Buys SawStop

I've used a sawstop, ever used a Northfield or Tannewitz? There really is no comparison in how smoothly and well they run.

These get so entertaining. Nothing special about a saw stop, other than the brake, compared to any other sheet metal based cabinet saw. Much better fences on many other saws. Moblie base point is moot, over arm dust collection is moot, there are tons of options out there an odds are you can find the same exact parts made for any other saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    These get so entertaining.
    I just like pushing the buttons.

You're right the list is pretty superficial.

Don't forget the manual Darcy! lol

Everything is moot about a SS, of course, so moot that TTS is buying it out. Oh, Festool is all moot, too, just in case the Festool naysayers are reading.

Simon

The only thing special about a SS is the stop part.

The buyout is all about the money. Period.
    I think I read that Mr. Gass's patent is due to run out sometime soon, so the days of getting high dollars for his tech are almost over- better for him to cash out before his return drops too low.
    Festool's parent company understands that there is a desire for this technology. They can buy existing technology that has withstood some test of time regarding proof, and avoidance of lawsuits. Mr. Gass's company is on the downslide of the back of the bellcurve as far as worth.
    The net here, is that there is still enough profit to be had in the future, and they enter the market on the ground and running.
    When it comes to buyouts like this it is always, and only about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I've used a sawstop, ever used a Northfield or Tannewitz? There really is no comparison in how smoothly and well they run.
    So? Where is the SS mediocre at? The mitre slot is off? The riving knife is bad? The vibration is horrible? The fence can't be set up properly? The dust collection is poor? The manual is printed in color you don't like? You don't think the zero clearance plate should be red? You don't like it to be an imported machine?

What is it?

I think I know the answer...you just don't like the SS.

Time to head to the shop and fire up the SS!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    So? Where is the SS mediocre at? The mitre slot is off? The riving knife is bad? The vibration is horrible? The fence can't be set up properly? The dust collection is poor? The manual is printed in color you don't like? You don't think the zero clearance plate should be red? You don't like it to be an imported machine?

What is it?

I think I know the answer...you just don't like the SS.

Time to head to the shop and fire up the SS!

Simon
    Something I tragically learned way too late in life. What you don't know, is what you don't know.
    It's a cheap box full of cheap parts. Nothing wrong with that, just don't call it anything other than what it is. It's priced accordingly, for whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Something I tragically learned way too late in life. What you don't know, is what you don't know.
    It's a cheap box full of cheap parts. Nothing wrong with that, just don't call it anything other than what it is. It's priced accordingly, for whatever that's worth.
    I wish it was priced cheap. But maybe we have different definitions of "cheap".

When I bought mine, I paid a premium compared to other table saws. And I've used it for quite a number of years now and it's performed quite well throughout that time, with no degradation that I can observe. If the parts were cheap, they were quality cheap parts.

So if the SawStop is "cheap" what does that make all the other competing table saws? Again, maybe we have different definitions, but I consider the SawStop to be a quality table saw. The flesh sensing technology is a bonus.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Martin and Darcy have a lot of experience with all saws, not just Delta and Grizzly and SS like most people here. Don't take offense, as said they're pushing buttons. The standard "my SS is the best" isnt really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    break tech
    Built-in espresso machine?
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Martin and Darcy have a lot of experience with all saws, not just Delta and Grizzly and SS like most people here. Don't take offense, as said they're pushing buttons. The standard "my SS is the best" isnt really necessary.
    Darcy has me beat by light years for knowledge on equipment. I only began my crusade for actual good tools a few years ago. There was a point when I thought there was no finer woodworking tool company than Powermatic. I was horribly mistaken.

Alright, alright. Cut it out. Both sides. If you have some insight about the deal per the thread title, please add. If you wish to debate Sawstop's quality, take it somewhere else. That debate never ends well here.

Also, something to consider.

I have 8" Powermatic jointer that is well made but I would not ever say "best in class" and it should last for years.

But I would not put it in the same class as the 16" A.J.Faye and Egan jointer I have that was built in 1920, that is now going on 100 years old which should still be kicking 100 years from now. Not sure you can say that for the SS.

Many folks on here have what are classified as more "industrial" class machines, so comparing a commercial saw to and at true industrial saw and claiming "best in class" can raise a little chuckle.

There is no question SS is a good saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Does that mean Sawstop wasn't doing that well? Usually, very successful companies don't get sold.
    The founder was the CEO and he must be approaching retirement age. Lots of investors too. I work in high tech and most successful startups sell to big companies and make the founders and early investors very rich.