Thread: Lathe price

Lathe price

About five years ago, my did fixed up a lathe and trucked it halfway across the country to me (no, I didn't ask for it, but my dad doesn't take 'no' for an answer when he decides to do something). Turning really isn't something I do - making pens or bowls doesn't interest me, and the wife and I don't really care much for furniture with turned spindles. So the lathe has sat in the garage and mostly had things piled on top of it.

A co-worker is interested in buying a lathe, and I'd be happy to sell him mine. What's a fair price? The label is mostly worn off, but looks like it says something-KRAFT. I measure it at 10" x 36" and it has a 1/2hp GE motor.

Thanks for your help!20170604_105304.jpg

Pay it forward?

I can't guess a value, but a fair price probably would not be much. You might consider just giving it to him. I did that once with a small lathe that was of no use to me. The guy was very happy to get it and started making all kinds of things, toys for kids, etc.!

I suggested that if he got to the point where he wasn't using it he might pass it on to someone else. Who knows where that lathe will get to some day - perhaps it will be exactly what someone needs in their life!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schaefer View Post
    About five years ago, my did fixed up a lathe and trucked it halfway across the country to me (no, I didn't ask for it, but my dad doesn't take 'no' for an answer when he decides to do something). Turning really isn't something I do - making pens or bowls doesn't interest me, and the wife and I don't really care much for furniture with turned spindles. So the lathe has sat in the garage and mostly had things piled on top of it.

A co-worker is interested in buying a lathe, and I'd be happy to sell him mine. What's a fair price? The label is mostly worn off, but looks like it says something-KRAFT. I measure it at 10" x 36" and it has a 1/2hp GE motor.

As John said it would not bring much, $50 would be a fair price if it runs ok IMHO.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I agree with John. You got it free, give to someone else for what you paid.

I agree. A fair price would be so little that it would make more sense to just give it to someone who is interested in woodturning. Considering that it might not be compatible with today's accessories, it might even have negative value.

The styling is similar to the 1940's era Delta lathes. They also had a Homecraft series, but they didn't look like the one that you have pictured. Here is a similar styled Delta lathe: http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=13845. The Delta appears to be a much sturdier lathe.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 06-29-2017 at 12:08 AM.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schaefer View Post
    I'm I looking at it wrong, or does the picture show no quill in the tailstock? Perhaps it is retracted all the way and just not visible in the picture. A quill with a MT#2 taper is almost a necessity, or at least expected these days.

JKJ

With the word Kraft on it.. might it not be an old Montgomery Ward tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Splaine View Post
    With the word Kraft on it.. might it not be an old Montgomery Ward tool?

Good call. Looks like a Montgomery ward Powr-Kraft. Here is a similar one: http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=27816

If your Dad went to that much trouble, and you sell it for $50, seems like you're demeaning his effort. I think paying it forward is the way to go. ("Dad, I just found I wasn't using it and you put so much work into it that rather than sell it, I wanted to wait until I found it a good home. And I did - the guy loves it.")