Thread: Moving Delta 18" Wedge Bed.

Moving Delta 18" Wedge Bed.

Hi guys. I could use advice. Came across a Delta 18" wedge bed planer at a Pittsburgh school auction and bought it, to replace my old belsaw 12". I need to get this planer out of the school, and home in the next 2 days. Does anyone have a best method to move this alone, from experience? Guessing its about 1000 pounds. Or does anyone know the exact base size so I can build a mobile base? My issue is just getting it out of the school onto my trailer, or rented lift gate truck. Once its home I can get friends at night to help unload.
    Last edited by james susick; 06-27-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Hire movers such as piano movers.
    Cutting rough stock lumber is like scrambling an egg, there is no going back

Attach 4x4 skids underneath, roll along on several sections of black pipe (assuming you have a level floor with few/no obstacles). Obviously you may need some lifting, pulling, and strapping tools as well, such as an engine hoist, hydraulic jack, come along, Johnson bar, etc.
    Chuck Taylor

Some things I've done:

rented a a forklift and drove it to the site to load on my trailer.
    bought a pallet jack to move items through a building.
    hired a rollback tow truck. ( I got it to the door with the pallet Jack. They loaded and unloaded)
    called a local farmer with a tractor big enough to pick up my stuff.
    got lucky and found a local business with a forklift that loaded me for a case of beer.
    built 4x4 skids on site, skidded onto my trailer with a come-a-long.

when I've bought things from schools I've asked if its ok for me to drive my forklift in their building. Every time I've asked that question prior to bidding on an item the district finds a forklift.

calling a rigger can turn a killer deal into a mediocre deal, but sometimes that's the best option.

They have a flat base. I use 1 1/2" pvc pipe up to about 3k pounds, it will roll easy on it. Two guys can tip it.

I would run two 4x4s half way through it the hoist from both ends with an engine hoist. Do not move it on the hoist! lower it onto a scooter board or two with plywood screwed to the top.
    Shipping weight was 1120 pounds.
    When i moved my lathe, 1750 pounds, I used a 2X12 just under 3 feet. The 3 feet length allowed it to go through the door. I bolted two casters at each end, countersinking bolt heads for a flat deck. I used two of these and bolted the lathe down to the scooter boards drilling the mount holes once it was down on the boards.
    Harbor freight is a cheap source of casters. they sell a scooter board with four lightweight casters for half the cost of four loose casters.
    I used one of each HF movers to move my new big fridge in the house.
    Bill

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...lly-38970.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...lly-63098.html

scooter board like this picture
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-201-18-planer

Or this one about half way down
    http://www.anf.nildram.co.uk/worksho...00_moving.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-27-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by james susick View Post
    Hi guys. I could use advice. Came across a Delta 18" wedge bed planer at a Pittsburgh school auction and bought it, to replace my old below 12". I need to get this planer out of the school, and home in the next 2 days. Does anyone have a best method to move this alone, from experience? Guessing its about 1000 pounds. Or does anyone know the exact base size so I can build a mobile base? My issue is just getting it out of the school onto my trailer, or rented lift gate truck. Once its home I can get friends at night to help unload.

I bought stuff at that auction. Prices were 'meh'. Is your planer 3 phase or single? If its 3phase, that was kind of a crap purchase, so hopefully you went and checked that out. Anyways, point of my post wasnt to critique your purchase price, but didnt you read they have a forklift on site?

Make sure the feeder gearbox has the correct lube before you run it. Also good idea to verify the feeder bearings are not too worn or they will take out the gears $. If those gears are blown there are ways around that factory box with a gearmotor setup.
    Bill D

Thanks guys for the help. I got it out of the building myself with a pallet jack. I waited for awhile and had the forklift lift it into my trailer. Forklift would not fit in that part of building. It runs great, and has very fresh blades. Its worth the $670 to me. I haven't been able to find a 18"-20" for under $800 for the last 4 months. Thanks again.

That is a great price. If the feed motor is three phase you can use a VFD to make it variable speed.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    That is a great price. If the feed motor is three phase you can use a VFD to make it variable speed.
    Bill
    Thanks for the info Bill.

I'm a little late to respond to this thread, but I just wanted to say that if you disassemble an 18" Delta" wedge bed, you must be careful of the table. They are very fragile when not bolted to the wedges. The cross sections where the table rolls are, are very thin.