Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tea House Garden Bench - Completed work.

Blog Entries

The Tea House Garden Bench - Completed work.

The Tea House Garden Bench is now completed, please have a read. I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...ench-complete/

I always greatly appreciate the positive comments left by those who follow my blog, but please do not shy away from questions. I'd like to use this a leap off point for a discussion.

I'm working on article for a friend's magazine on my position with respect to exposed joinery, I will use this as one example in my writing and I'm happy to hear your opinions on the matter as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The Tea House Garden Bench is now completed, please have a read. I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...ench-complete/

I always greatly appreciate the positive comments left by those who follow my blog, but please do not shy away from questions. I'd like to use this a leap off point for a discussion.

I'm working on article for a friend's magazine on my position with respect to exposed joinery, I will use this as one example in my writing and I'm happy to hear your opinions on the matter as well.
    Hey Brian -- Really like the exposed dovetail detail. Outstanding craftsmanship! How much does your bench weigh? Is it used outdoors? Also, what are the dimensions? H, W, L
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 06-27-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Nice, simple-looking, but, again with well thought out details that may not be apparent to the unschooled eye. I have always enjoyed your use of chamfers on exposed edges. Generally speaking, do you tend to use chisels or planes to chamfer edges or is it definitely dependent upon each case as to what you use. I tend to use a block plane on the larger-longer edges, but have only been "breaking" the edges rather than creating a larger chamfer that you use with great effect. Sideline question just out of curiosity - difference between working the "free whatever" and the "naval" brass?
    David

Hello Brian,

A beautiful bench, I especially like the exposed dovetails and the small triangular chamfers add a special elegance.

Best,
    C

Those dovetails are wonderful. Right down to the tapered bevel on the inside face. Great detail.

Oh Brian, how you intimidate me, lol. What a beauty - the piece is substantial yet proportional, the lines are clean and chamfers are beautifully executed. My favorite (I'm sure others will agree) are the semi-exposed dovetails. Kudos.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very nice. A tidy design and superb execution. I love the added detail of the reversed tails with chamfers and facets. I'd like one of those in my back yard. I better get busy.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Hey Brian -- Really like the exposed dovetail detail. Outstanding craftsmanship! How much does your bench weigh? Is it used outdoors? Also, what are the dimensions? H, W, L
    Thanks Pat! Not sure what it weighs, but I can pick it up by myself. It will be used outdoors. 18.5", 13-3/8", 72"

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Nice, simple-looking, but, again with well thought out details that may not be apparent to the unschooled eye. I have always enjoyed your use of chamfers on exposed edges. Generally speaking, do you tend to use chisels or planes to chamfer edges or is it definitely dependent upon each case as to what you use. I tend to use a block plane on the larger-longer edges, but have only been "breaking" the edges rather than creating a larger chamfer that you use with great effect. Sideline question just out of curiosity - difference between working the "free whatever" and the "naval" brass?
    Thanks David! Much appreciated. I usually do them by chamfer plane, if that won't work then I will use a little Japanese block plane and finally if that won't work then I do it with a chisel. The small teardrop shaped chamfers were by chisel, pretty much all the others were by planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hello Brian,

A beautiful bench, I especially like the exposed dovetails and the small triangular chamfers add a special elegance.

Best,
    C
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Those dovetails are wonderful. Right down to the tapered bevel on the inside face. Great detail.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Oh Brian, how you intimidate me, lol. What a beauty - the piece is substantial yet proportional, the lines are clean and chamfers are beautifully executed. My favorite (I'm sure others will agree) are the semi-exposed dovetails. Kudos.
    Haha! Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Very nice. A tidy design and superb execution. I love the added detail of the reversed tails with chamfers and facets. I'd like one of those in my back yard. I better get busy.
    Thank you! Making one is the easy part, actually putting it outside seems to be the hard part, lol.

Very nice work again. And a nice desig too. I think I could live with stuff like this. This Japanese inspiration scratches the itch of making complicated stuff, while at the same time it turns out stuff that looks great in modern homes. That in contrast to 18th century replica's, often very challenging to make too, but it looks totally out of place in many homes.

I've been reading your blog and it looks like you thought hard and deep about how to keep this piece in tact in anoutdoor setting. From the material choice (mahogany) to the repair of defects in the wood to much of the joinery, to the brass levelers under the feet. But dovetails? Outside? How do you think about that after a couple of years and after the glue fails?

As usual, very nice work and a great read!

What is your take on leaving the dovetail base line gauge mark? When do you like to leave it, and when do you plane it off?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Very nice work again. And a nice desig too. I think I could live with stuff like this. This Japanese inspiration scratches the itch of making complicated stuff, while at the same time it turns out stuff that looks great in modern homes. That in contrast to 18th century replica's, often very challenging to make too, but it looks totally out of place in many homes.

I've been reading your blog and it looks like you thought hard and deep about how to keep this piece in tact in anoutdoor setting. From the material choice (mahogany) to the repair of defects in the wood to much of the joinery, to the brass levelers under the feet. But dovetails? Outside? How do you think about that after a couple of years and after the glue fails?
    Thank you! I certainly agree that it looks right in a modern home.

I had some hesitation with having end grain exposures on an outdoor project. However Chris Hall posted up photos of the outdoor work he's made over the course of the last four years, the mahogany held up beautifully. It was interesting to see how things like wedged through tenons looked and they were fine aside from some shrinking. I'll be curious to see how well it holds up in this case. It would seem typical that the wood will shrink to some degree, possibly leaving them slightly proud of the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Sedell View Post
    As usual, very nice work and a great read!

What is your take on leaving the dovetail base line gauge mark? When do you like to leave it, and when do you plane it off?
    Thanks Oscar, I always leave them.

thanks Brian!

Brian, that bench would be a beauitiful addition to anyones garden. I would like to see it in its intended place along with the other tea garden furniture. I really enjoy your blog as it is an opportunity to learn and see how you execute the fine details that make the pieces. Thanks for posting!
    Thanks,
    Eric

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eric! Much appreciated! I'll keep that in mind if the opportunity arises.

Brian, as always, exceptional work!!! Very well done!
    Jerry