Thread: Need SketchUp Help

Need SketchUp Help

I'm using SketchUp Make 2017, latest version on the same PC I've used it and prior versions for several years. A few weeks ago it started taking an inordinate amount of time to complete an operation, like to highlight an object or line I clicked on. Nothing would happen for what seemed like 10 or more seconds and then the operation would happen. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, run malware checks, etc., looked on Trimble's website for help, all for naught. As is it's unusable.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is? The only other thing that might be new on the PC is Windows Defender and I can't figure out how to disable that to check to see if that's the root of the problem. Any help on that regard would be appreciated, too. Come to think of it, maybe this coincides with a huge update of Windows 10 that happened several weeks ago that took literally hours. Not sure, but maybe.

John

I'm having the same problem with my shop computer. I've done some research and it has to do with the way the latest update of Windows has messed up communicating with certain video drivers for some computers (NVIDIO in particular I think) . My laptop has the latest updates as well and it's working fine. Some say to reload using SU 2016 instead - I might try that tonight.

Link to 2016 version of SU

https://forums.sketchup.com/clicks/t...topic_id=39095

Don't trust me however - I'm certainly no computer geek - just trying to fix my SU too.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 06-27-2017 at 2:45 PM.

John, if you haven't seen it already, check my e-mail on this topic.

Going back to SU2016 is an option but not needed unless you have an old graphics card that won't support OpenGL 3.0 or higher.

If you already had SU2016 installed, you would be able to go back to it assuming you didn't uninstall it. Each SketchUp version installs separately and doesn't affect prior versions.

Thanks guys. I got your e-mail, Dave. Much appreciated, but I can't find some of the things you asked about. My computer literacy is limited and Win10 has made it nearly non existent.

John

Rick, I just downloaded Make 2016 and it behaves just as poorly as 2017.

John

Following up on an observation Dave had, I unclicked "Use Hardware Acceleration" under Windows > Preferences > OpenGL in Make2016, and it now it works! It sure looks like Win10 is the root cause of this problem, but at least with the older versions of SketchUp there is a work around until a solution is found for my machine. Hopefully, it will work for you, too, Rick.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Following up on an observation Dave had, I unclicked "Use Hardware Acceleration" under Windows > Preferences > OpenGL in Make2016, and it now it works! It sure looks like Win10 is the root cause of this problem, but at least with the older versions of SketchUp there is a work around until a solution is found for my machine. Hopefully, it will work for you, too, Rick.

John
    I had the same problem some months ago - I couldn't even rotate a view smoothly. I tore out my hair trying every possible configuration before I hit on that fix. (in make 2017) I have a recollection of having to do something else as well but I'd have to hunt for it since the brain cell with that data has since died.

JKJ

I downloaded the 2016 version last night on my shop computer (it's about a 3 year old computer - but is an I7 and has a good graphics card etc). That fixed my problem completely. Thank goodness - I've got a bunch of stuff on the cue I really wanted to use the shop computer for because of its big monitor. This will actually be the first time to use the new giant monitor so I'm excited about that. Whew - what a relief - I just cannot be without SU and I really wanted to use the new setup. I was so afraid when my laptop did it's Win update yesterday I would lose it as well for SU.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 06-28-2017 at 7:30 AM.

Gentlemen, there are several reasons attribute to slowness in SU2017 on Windows, especially Windows 10.

The first thing to understand is that the graphics pipeline was updated in SketchUp 2017. This lead to a number of improvements but it means your computer's graphics processor and its drivers must be up to the task. In previous versions you could offload rendering to the CPU. That's what deselecting Use Hardware Acceleration does.

There have been a number of reports of users experiencing a slow down which was traced to inadequate OpenGL support for the GPU. Intel HD 4000 series cards have been one of the biggest offenders. Updating the drivers has helped most users. If you are using a laptop computer, it is best to start at the manufacturer's site and see if they have updated drivers for your card. The laptop manufacturers sometimes tweak the drivers to control power consumption and heat. No good to let the magic smoke out.

If you don't find anything from the laptop manufacturer, go to the Intel site.

Another fairly common issue has to do with some bad security updates issued by Microsoft and installed automatically. These were issued a couple or three months back. These updates affected other programs besides SketchUp. Microsoft issued a warning and told users not to install them. If someone wants the update numbers, I'll track them down.

Going back to SketchUp 2016 to be able to get CPU rendering might be an option but you shouldn't have to do that unless your computer is old and the GPU drivers don't support OpenGL 3.0 or higher.