Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counter depth fridge recommendations

Counter depth fridge recommendations

I need a new counter depth side by side 2 door fridge (the old Jenn Air is 26 5/8" depth w/o handle - I could go a little deeper but not more than 28 5/8" max). I am looking for something quiet - ideally without an icemaker (if that's even possible today!). Anyone have any recent experience or recommendations?

check out the fisher and Paykel line, a friend just picked up https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj...F170BPUX6.html for a kitchen I installed for them, it looks great and is perfect for their small kitchen. Not sure about the ice maker part. We have a used SubZero but have put about 2k into it to keep it going. total cost is still around 2500. Look for the scratch and dents on e-bay, you can usually find good deals on stuff with scuffs on the sides.

No real recommendations, I just looked over on the Lowes website and there are plenty without external icemakers so you should be okay there.

I suggest staying away from Samsung. They may make good TVs and phones, but their refrigerators are bad. Google "Samsung Refrigerator Lawsuit" and you will find at least four separate class action lawsuits against them for various refrigerators. They have an inherent engineering flaw that has lingered for over 7 years. They won't fix the problem and keep grinding out flawed appliances.

I had to replace a 4 year old Samsung because it couldn't reliably be fixed within a reasonable cost.
    FWIW... I have an LG now.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo View Post
    FWIW... I have an LG now.
    As do I, which I'm very happy with. I had a Frigidaire before that and... not as happy.

We had a Frigidaire at our old house that was nice. Have an LG now that came with the house, wouldn't buy one again as it freezes stuff in the back, has a room temp display that reads 20 degrees off (common problem), has ridiculously expensive filters, crushes half the ice even if you don't ask, has drawers that don't work well, and on and on. And it's an expensive model!

Counter depth seems to be hard to find, so you might be limited by where you have available to buy from. You want no ice maker at all? Maybe limited to the very low end of top freezer types.

We have a Kenmore side-by-side that is counter depth, but I believe it was made by Whirlpool.

Ours is an LG and it's largely been a good refrigerator. The exception has been the ice maker which can be stubborn sometimes...but that's not unique to any one manufacturer. Ice makers are the bane of many!

Unfortunately, the choices for counter depth machines are limited. If it wasn't for the specific location we have to have ours in our kitchen, I'd have a normal depth refrigerator with more storage. But we cannot move it and deeper means we can't use the kitchen door.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ice makers are the bane of many!
    Worth repeating!
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

So far I have found a high end Fisher Paykel w/o icemaker and otherwise I am told to get a fridge with the icemaker inside the freezer and just not hook it up. I am assured by the salesman that the fridge will not freak out if the icemaker is not connected. Anyone have an knowledge about this?

I bought a Frigidaire Gallery 3 1/2 years ago. The fridge is nice, no complaints but the ice makers (one on top and one in the bottom) have been a constant pain in the backside. We have had the units replaced and had 4 service calls on the ice makers and 2 on the electronics in it. Unfortunately, Frigidaire wants $166 a year for extended warranty. I will never buy another.

Sub-Zero is close to top of the line and priced as such. That said, we have had ours for 36 years and it is still going strong. Have had some issues with the ice maker in the last three years. Face panel are easy to customize to blend with adjacent cabinetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ice makers are the bane of many!
    Eh? Ice makers tend to be more reliable than the refrigerators they're installed in. Ice dispensers, OTOH...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Just shut the ice maker off. Don't they all have that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Eh? Ice makers tend to be more reliable than the refrigerators they're installed in. Ice dispensers, OTOH...
    Agreed big time! We have a late model Kenmore that will make ice like crazy but won't give the ice to you after it's made. I've given up on trying to keep the chute unclogged.