Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cherry for a project...

Looking good, as usual. Enjoying the build.
    And I see you survived your own cooking, too.
    There is hope.

Teaser, until later...ripped a piece to make the cross-stretcher....board still had rough sawn markings. Jig to hold it still, and a Millers Falls Junior Jack No.11 to smooth it out..
    IMG_0713 (640x480).jpg
    One face, then the edges...then..
    IMG_0714 (640x480).jpg
    The other face. Need to bead the four corners. Maybe later?

Shoulders are acting up tonight, cramps in the shoulder blade area....might take the rest of the night off..try again tomorrow....

Mr. Gumption wants me IN the shop, today...have a few more mortises to chop, and do yet another glue-up......bought a case of gatorade for the shop..

Plan for today? Mortises chopped on the last leg ( on the desk, NOT my leg..) do a glue up. Mock up where the crossstretcher will go, and work on the joints to connect things up. Not too much to ask, for one day, moving at the speed of smell?

Well, didn't even move that fast....it beat me up the stairs...

Did get a small amount of things done today, before the back started up, again..
    IMG_0723 (640x480).jpg
    Drilled a few holes, once I got this assembly out of the clamps..
    IMG_0722 (640x480).jpg
    Pinned all the joints...
    IMG_0724 (640x480).jpg
    Trimmed and planed smooth.
    Cross-stretcher got beads on all four corners, clean up with a small knife..
    IMG_0725 (640x480).jpg
    Then chop the last of the leg mortises, and do a dry fit..
    IMG_0729 (640x480).jpg
    Not too hateful....glue and clamps, next..
    IMG_0730 (640x480).jpg
    Leg vise as a Third Hand. Starting to make a mistake or two...The corner bead I add to the leg's outside corner? Forgot it.. Can add it once the assembly is out of the clamps.
    Might as well do a full dry fit..
    IMG_0732 (640x480).jpg
    Just to see how much of a ....bear this will be. I also sized the cross stretcher, and made a couple cuts..
    IMG_0733 (640x480).jpg
    I can cut the socket later. Back was hurting....time to call it a day? Working on my third Gatorade....trying to keep Uncle Charles (Horse) at bay.
    Stay tuned...

Now have the "false top" squared up, both faces are almost flattened up...more concerned about the edges being flat where the desk unit will sit on it. Left side assembly is now sitting on the bench...have plane work to do, and cut a dovetail socket. Then the right side also will get a socket cut out. Not looking forward to the main glue up......not enough hands.

There may be a "Blue Streak" coming out of the shop...later....ear plugs may be needed.

Scrub Jack plane..
    scrub work.jpg
    then the #6
    small jointer.jpg
    Stanley 45 and the shop stool working together..
    bead work 1.jpg
    Pinned a few spots.
    pinned.jpg
    Smoothed a few spots..
    smooth plane.jpg
    Handsaw for a bit..
    dovetail saw.jpg
    Followed by a chisel or two..
    cut and chopped.jpg
    Dry fit..
    in.jpg
    Then the ugly stuff started, and the cussing....stay tuned

Some dummy decided to actually do a one-man glue-up today...( ear plugs were issued )
    glued up.jpg
    Wound up like this, in order to clamp the bottom of the legs into square to the top of the legs...

Letting the glue cure....MIGHT go and make Pine corner blocks, and even attach them. Will give me a way to attach this..
    top.jpg
    And then I can start on the desk unit that sits on this top. Now, I just sitting here, peeling glue off my fingers.

Stay tuned..

I suppose I should meander back down there, and see how things are turning out......or, just let "sleeping Dogs lie"?

Have been informed by the Boss, a friend of her Pastor would like a simple little box built...
    front view.jpg
    And... I get to replace the screen door on the backdoor.....and add a doggy door to boot. Never ends....

This place needs a "like" button.

Well....Thing is out of the clamps. Need to cut some corner blocks...
    Langdon.jpg
    Just some leftover Pine from the Pantry build...
    Drill a few holes for screws, and countersink for the heads..
    Countersink.jpg
    Add some Elmer's and two screws..
    another view.jpg
    Supposed to keep things solid at the corners..
    corner block.jpg
    All four corners get these. Wasn't done, though, had to add a slotted hole ..
    slotted hole.jpg
    I drill straight down, then rock the drill back and forth to form the slot.
    More about the slot in a bit....had to decide which will be a show face on the panel...this one..
    face 1.jpg
    Meh, not really, maybe the other face?
    other side.jpg
    Passable? Set this face onto the bench, set the base onto the meh side, set the reveals all around...and attached the panel to the base.
    spacer.jpg
    Yes, that is a nut. It will not move, but it will allow the screw to tilt as the wood panel moves...besides, the screws were a tad long...

Hmm..8 pictures already? Space flies when you are having fun...

Anyway I can set the stand for the desk back onto it's own four feet..
    stand.jpg
    seems all the building is done here..
    IMG_0761 (640x480).jpg
    I guess I need to clear the bench, and start on the desk unit that will sit on that panel?
    Stay tuned...we are only at the halfway point....

Just went through the stack of "scrap lumber"...looking for enough to build the desk parts.....found enough ROUGH stuff, all 4/4....hmmm. I have a friend that still has my old PC lunch box planer.....would be nice to get these all down to 3/4" or a tad thinner. I also need a bit of 1/2" stock for that box build. may give him a call and see what he is doing....

Have a few to glue up the sloped lid and top parts. 4/4" would be a tad too heavy to lift, though. Marked a couple other boards for a back, and the sides. Not sure about what will go INSIDE the box.....yet.

Jointed a couple edges....Friday I haul a bunch of boards to be run through the planer.

Until then, I have a screen door to replace,AFTER installing a Doggy Door in the new screen door.

Among the boards going along Friday, will be one to be taken down toaround 1/2" thick. Have a fancy little box to also get down....both will get delivered at the same place and day...I hope.

Add-on pieces to box in the DD, meant a bunch of room trips to the shop...had to keep the sawdust IN the shop..
    Maybe this weekend I can get back to desk building...maybe?

Pet door is installed, screen guard is installed....checked the old latch...was set up for a skinnier thickness....had to go and buy a new one. Boss thinks she has found the paint colour she likes for the new screendoor....I'll hand her a brush...

was able to rehab a handsaw today,...took about an hour, if that..
    Atkins saw.jpg
    Even found an etch! EC Atkins & Co.. has the AAA logo, too. Had one small kink in the tooth line, was able to hammer that out.
    IMG_0769 (640x480).jpg
    Cleaned up a few hinges....wire wheel on the grinder decided to "eat" the one brass hinge. Got the bag of hinges...they did not come with any screws.
    IMG_0770 (640x480).jpg
    French hinges?

Maybe tomorrow, I can demo out the old screendoor, and install the new one? Weather permitting.....

Maybe Saturday, I can get back to that project.....