Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Product suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I can't say that I've always had finish samples before beginning a project, but I always get one approved before actually finishing the project; better to deal with the "Oh, I didn't think it was going to look like that." before it's too late to do anything about it. A contract may protect you, but it won't prevent disappointment if what you deliver is not what they expect.

John
    I totally agree. I do bring samples of about 10 of the most common ones. Generally my customers either have a specific product in mind or they select a color and then a finish from the samples. This whole issue is because they originally selected the birch as a material and the white pigmented lacquer as the finish and then 3 weeks in asked if there was a way to highlight more of the grain detail. The only possible solution that i could see was to possibly alter the finish as they would not have been willing to pay for the new materials and added time to change it and i certainly am not going to.

This is why i try to get my customers to spend some time finding examples of what they like before we finalize details. I would say that 10% of my customers dont do this and go into it expecting me to tell them what they want. I find this to be very difficult as it usually results in multiple shop drawings and issues like this.

Im trying very hard to fully transition to strictly custom work and not have to do any more renovation work. At this point whenever i get a call from a customer that wants custom work and is willing to spend the money i try to be as accommodating as possible but i cant afford to lose half of the project cost for a request made this late in the game. Does this seem unreasonable? Seriously please let me know if it does.

Not unreasonable - I think in your situation I would have been up front with them, told them that I needed some time to investigate whether what they wanted was possible for the agreed price, then once I had an answer give them a choice of either a solid color with no grain or the alternative which is likely to be more expensive

I think your approach is completely reasonable, and that Andy's comments are what I would do in this situation if I ever find myself there and hope I never do.

One idea that occurred to me to highlight the grain more might be to bead blast it or wire brush it first. I don't know if that will work with birch, but brushing works really well on oak.

Worth a few minutes with a piece of scrap.

John

John's suggestion to impart noticeable woodgrain on a painted project is excellent, IMHO. But it would certainly require an up-charge because of the additional labor, change to an appropriate species and additional shop supplies.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...