Thread: Posting videos to SMC

Posting videos to SMC

Sometimes it would be better to post a video than try to explain something.
    Am I correct that if I made a home video in the shop, I have to first upload it to Youtube then post to SMC. No way to post a video directly to SMC?

Do you think it would be best to have a dedicated Youtube channel for just woodworking videos vs using your personal channel? My personal channel does not have any home videos uploaded. Only links to videos I like (mostly of live concert clips of various bands)
    What do you do?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave,

I wish we had the income to be able to host our own videos on our server but the cost of bandwidth alone would not be possible unless we required everyone to become a contributor. I doubt a subscription based SawMill Creek would be very popular with the masses. I have created a SawMill Creek YouTube channel but its empty at this point because I'm not sure how sharing the channel would work or if it's even possible. I have no experience with YouTube other than being a viewer at this point.

We are in the process of converting SawMill Creek to a new software program, its a difficult task that we hope to get completed this summer, when its done I will investigate our YouTube options. Possibly someone here can offer some expertise concerning how a SawMill Creek YouTube channel would work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Dave,

I wish we had the income to be able to host our own videos on our server but the cost of bandwidth alone would not be possible unless we required everyone to become a contributor. I doubt a subscription based SawMill Creek would be very popular with the masses. I have created a SawMill Creek YouTube channel but its empty at this point because I'm not sure how sharing the channel would work or if it's even possible. I have no experience with YouTube other than being a viewer at this point.

We are in the process of converting SawMill Creek to a new software program, its a difficult task that we hope to get completed this summer, when its done I will investigate our YouTube options. Possibly someone here can offer some expertise concerning how a SawMill Creek YouTube channel would work for us.

Thanks Keith for all your hard work with SMC.

I think a Sawmill Creek Youtube channel is a great idea, but like you ,have no idea if it is a good option or not.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave, I will add that it's a good idea to post stills, too, because we have a lot of members who have lower-speed Internet access and they may not be able to view video streamed from the Internet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dave, I will add that it's a good idea to post stills, too, because we have a lot of members who have lower-speed Internet access and they may not be able to view video streamed from the Internet.
    Good point. Did not think of that.
    - Rick Dale

Unfortunately, in the US where the majority of our community lives, there are huge areas that are not served by broadband Internet speeds and that makes streaming video a challenge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...