Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Moxon Vise Question

Another Moxon Vise Question

Hi guys, got another question for those of you who have made a moxon vise for your bench. I have seen several with small tables added to the back of the vise. Excluding those with added bench dog holes, what is the table used for? I can see it could be useful for holding the pin board while marking from the tails, is that pretty much it? Thanks

I'm glad you posted this question I just finished a Moxon, and have same question. Derek from Perth made a little support that any piece can rest on for marking pins/tails, etc. That (so far) makes the most sense to me.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Hi David, when you say "made a little support", are you saying he incorporated the support into the vise or just has it available when needed as a separate piece?
    Edit notes: I did a search and found Derek's support, I see that it is separate and noted his arguments against having an attached table. Again, back to my general original question (for the Forum), are there any other reasons to have a table if you are not adding dogs?
    Last edited by Mark R Webster; 06-28-2017 at 3:00 PM.

I never added the back section to mine when I built it, but over time decided to add a small supported platform for dovetail work. I used it a lot at first, but forgot about it after a shop move. I'll have to dig it out if I can find it. It was a handy little appliance for laying out the pins off the dovetails.

Same here. I also have a small, portable table built that I position behind my Moxon vise for use in laying out dovetail pins. I have a particular piece of scrap that matches the table/Moxon vise heights so that I can position the tail board in the Moxon vise to the correct height for pin marking. Makes it easier to orient the pin board in relation to the tail board and then clamp the pin board down for marking. My table is built from cutoffs and is of utilitarian build rather than a work of art or an example (or lack thereof) of my craftsmanship. Look at Derek's In The Woodshop website for a better explanation.
    David

"what is the table used for?"

A bench-on-bench raises my chisel work to an ergonomic height so I'm not stooping. When dovetailing, I can saw and chop without having to remove my b-on-b. Granted, mine has dog holes, but I don't use them half the time; I just use a clamp - or not.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I'm glad you posted this question I just finished a Moxon, and have same question. Derek from Perth made a little support that any piece can rest on for marking pins/tails, etc. That (so far) makes the most sense to me.
    My favorite method for marking pins/tails and keeping everything lined up is the alignment board promoted by David Barron. You can make one in short order, and use it in any moxon vise for the transfer marking procedure.

David Barron's alignment board is clever, however it is better to reduce the number of jigs than add yet another one.

Aligning drawer parts is no big deal. Either place a square on the drawer front, or a large chisel against the side as a fence ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and opinions!! In am off to build my Moxon.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    David Barron's alignment board is clever, however it is better to reduce the number of jigs than add yet another one.

Aligning drawer parts is no big deal. Either place a square on the drawer front, or a large chisel against the side as a fence ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    This was timely, Derek. I had watched David's youtube earlier this week and decided that another jig was necessary. Thank you for showing the simple common sense solution.

Ok guys.... after your helpful input I finally got around to finishing my Moxon. I decided not to incorporate the vise into the existing bench and made it removable. I am going to build a mini separate support table like Derek's next. I just thought I would share my solution on how I am attaching the vise to my bench. I wanted to avoid using clamps, solve the problem of the vise tipping forward during setup and keep the vise sturdy once in place. I use a Frid style bench and have a hard time with the idea of drilling holes into the top to allow using holdfasts so I came up with this solution. I slide the incorporated "bench dogs" into the existing bench dog holes and with the standard bench dogs, clamp the vise securely in place using the tail vise. Works pretty well Here are some pics:
    IMG_3865.jpgIMG_9912.jpgIMG_4487.jpgIMG_2051.jpgIMG_8474.jpgAttachment 364744

That's a very neat idea Mark! How much spacing did you go with between the rods (vise capacity)?

The vise capacity is 16" I don't do much larger work. I guess I would make another set of jaws later if needed. Thanks

Hi Mark

The dog hole idea is good logic. However, in practice, when you saw the action of the saw will cause the work piece to rock back-and-forth. I am concerned that your vise will do the same.

You may find that you need to attached (glue/screw) a flat section to the rear for a hold down, or use clamps/hold down on the sides "ears".

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Derek

Pics of my set up for illustration ...

The vise is locked between dogs, but still requires a hold downs on each ear:

Non-slip on the spacer ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 07-28-2017 at 2:08 AM.