Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked ribs for the 4th.

Smoked ribs for the 4th.

Going to try again to smoke ribs in a Weber Kettle charcoal grill.

Like the low and slow way of smoking but not too sure I want to invest 7 hours
    Anyone have a quicker method they like to use to smoke ribs on the grill?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

For baby backs I use the 2-2-1 method. 2 hours at 240 deg with smoke the whole time, 2 hours wrapped in foil them one hour unwrapped with sauce if desired. Will fall off the bone. For spare ribs I do 3-2-1. I usually use apple or cherry for wood. Enjoy.

Almost forgot. I coat my ribs with yellow mustard when apply the rub. The mustard acts as a "glue" to keep the rub on the meat.
    Last edited by David Drickhamer; 06-28-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by David Drickhamer View Post
    For baby backs I use the 2-2-1 method. 2 hours at 240 deg with smoke the whole time, 2 hours wrapped in foil them one hour unwrapped with sauce if desired. Will fall off the bone. For spare ribs I do 3-2-1. I usually use apple or cherry for wood. Enjoy.

Almost forgot. I coat my ribs with yellow mustard when apply the rub. The mustard acts as a "glue" to keep the rub on the meat.

Thanks for the Mustard tip.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Another vote for 2-2-1. I've seen complaints that they turn out too moist but I like them that way. I don't wrap, I use a large foil pan covered in foil.

If you want an awesome side: http://www.epicurean.com/featured/qu...ns-recipe.html

How do you know the temp in closed grill? I have an older Weber Kettle and it has no thermometer.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

My wife wanted a Pit Barrel Cooker for Mother's Day. We've done baby back ribs in it three times already. The directions they give involve seasoning them and hanging them over the fire for 3 hours. It works quite well but they aren't as juicy as some people like. I'm going to have to try hanging them for two hours and wrapped in foil for an hour to see how that works. They show that sort of thing for doing brisket and pork belly. Should work on the ribs, too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Starting at room temperature, it's about 6 hours for spare ribs and 5 for baby backs around here, with the caveat that they're not done until they're done. It's a challenge in the Weber and I have an offset grill I like better for ribs. I could do one slab well in the Weber, two less well and not three. Coals on one side, ribs on the other, 250 if you can do it. OK to start higher but try to keep it at 225-250. A thermometer with the probe on a wire inside the grill helps, position it carefully. You can temp the meat later - it's for the grill. Don't open the lid any more than you have to. After 2 hours your coals are gone, wrap the ribs in foil with some beer or apple juice and in the oven at 325-350 for 2 hours or so. You can put 2 slabs in one foil. Then back on the grill with fresh coals to finish. That's spare ribs and it's not 6 hours but that's the way it is. It's not science, it's art.

Or parboil them and grill for two hours but don't tell anybody.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 06-29-2017 at 12:53 PM.

George, I highly recommend this thermometer. For ribs just worry about the grill/smoker grate temp, which can be measured with an accessory probe. I use it for any meat I'm grilling and cook to temp, not to time. This was a huge advance in the quality of my results.

http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm...oBCxoCbc3w_wcB
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-29-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Matt
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

You might try an hour or so on the grill low and slow to get them to take smoke, then take them in the house, wrap them in foil and finish in the oven. When done as you like, put sauce on and flash them under the broiler to get the ribs with baked on sauce effect. In my view, if you have time and refrigerator space, put rub on and leave them in the fridge for a few days. That seems to have a greater effect than anything else I have tried. The salt in the rub pulls a bit of moisture out, but results in the spicing being drawn in. Or so it seems.

Full and fair disclosure, I do not care for "falling off the bone", I want then to be done such that they bite cleanly off the bone, but not falling off. I do 7 hours at 200 degrees in a mixture of pecan and a bit of hickory.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    George, I highly recommend this thermometer. For ribs just worry about the grill/smoker grate temp, which can be measured with an accessory probe. I use it for any meat I'm grilling and cook to temp, not to time. This was a huge advance in the quality of my results.

I have and have used that same thermometer. I kind of wanted to get the ThermaQ, which is ideally suited for this. While we're at it, the ThermoPop is an exceptional meat thermometer for minimal cost. We haven't screwed up ANY meat since we purchased the ThermoPop.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    How do you know the temp in closed grill? I have an older Weber Kettle and it has no thermometer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post

I have the ChefAlarm in my kitchen...along with a Thermopen, and a TimeStick Trio...great products, all. But if you're in the market for a dedicated smoker thermometer, I recommend the ThermoWorks Smoke model. It'll let you remotely monitor both the smoker temp and the meat...or two meats...from up to 300 feet away or in my case, up to about 80 feet, through a couple of interior walls and a garage door. It's weather resistant and stoutly built. It crowds the $100 mark but I think it's worth it.

In the less expensive range, I've been through a few Maverick models (ET-72, ET-73, ET-732) which worked okay...ish. The wireless signal wasn't nearly as stable and they weren't built too solidly. I actually went through two of the ET-72s. They have a newer ET-733 model that's supposed to have the same 300-ft range as the Smoke and at ~$40 less (at Amazon), it might be worth a try.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post

I drilled a 3/8" hole in the lid and installed this.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-...meter/50292463
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Going to try again to smoke ribs in a Weber Kettle charcoal grill.

Like the low and slow way of smoking but not too sure I want to invest 7 hours
    Anyone have a quicker method they like to use to smoke ribs on the grill?

Low and slow is what makes them tender, juicy and flavorful. Certain cuts of meat are "smoke meats" because they start out tough, but after they've been on low heat for a while, the connective tissues break down and they become tender. Being over smoke for a good long time can mean good flavor as a bonus. Ribs and brisket are two of the better-known examples of this.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Once you learn to control your temperatures you really don't need to invest hours. You spent a little time setting it up and then just check on it once in a while (the temp, not peeking.) I have done ribs during the week since I work from home. I put them on at lunch, take a break after 2 hours and put them in the foil pan. At the end of the day I take them out of the pan for the last hour and we get the rest of dinner going. Brisket and pork shoulders I do overnight into the next day. For those I use an electronic controller that uses two temp probes to measure the meat and grate temps and a fan to stoke the fire to maintain temp. There's an app for my phone that alarms and wakes me up if something goes wrong. I've never had, or used, a Weber Kettle so I'm not sure how easy temp control is on them.

The Thermoworks Smoke thing is really nice for a 2-probe measuring system. I forgot they introduced that model and would probably get that over the Chef Alarm today. I wouldn't use it since it for smoking since its redundant to my controller but the remote readout would be really nice. We have their waterproof digital thermometer too for quick readings--they are about $20.