Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoked ribs for the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by terry mccammon View Post
    ... I do 7 hours at 200 degrees in a mixture of pecan and a bit of hickory.
    That sounds dangerous.

The Ribs are in the smoker.
    Wish me luck.
    SAM_0702_3.jpgSAM_0703_4.jpgSAM_0701_2.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I don't believe in the "Texas crutch" method. Covering to essentially steam them. You lose some of the "bark" you worked hard for. Also, no need to use super low/slow w/ ribs. Save that for pulled pork. I get good results with a bit higher temps, like 275 or so. Some go even higher, 300+. Usually I can get really good ribs in 3 maybe 4 hours.

Also, ribs should NOT "fall off the bone". Some like it, but that's not true competition style. Should be a clean bit, but not pull away from bone too much. Think of it like al dente pasta. Mushy is overdone. Same w/ ribs. I'll still eat them though!

Here is a great website with tons of equipment reviews, cooking tips, recipes, and some science behind the cook. Also dispels some myths.

http://amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...as_crutch.html

For ribs. I don't crutch ribs. The quality increase is small. In competition, you need all the help possible so you must crutch. If you are going to crutch ribs, be very careful that the bones don't puncture the foil. A double layer is recommended. People ask if they can put more than one slab in a package, but the effect will not be the same. You are essentially making a single thicker piece of meat and that will take longer to reach temp. Remember, thickness determines cooking time more than anything else. I don't recommend stacking.
    On the rare occasion that I crutch ribs, I crutch for only 30 minutes. If you have heard of the 3-2-1 method, read the sidebar on the subject. I strongly disagree with the two hours in the crutch. Go much beyond 30 minutes and you risk overcooking the meat and turning it mushy.
    You really can't tell when ribs are done with a thermometer. Click here to learn how to tell when ribs are ready. When the meat is ready you can paint on sauce, place it on a hot grill to caramelize the sugars, and serve. Click here to learn more about saucing strategies. If you wish, make Vermont Pig Candy with the liquid in the foil.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...hey_ready.html
    Last edited by Russ Filtz; 07-18-2017 at 7:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    That sounds dangerous.
    What sounds dangerous about it?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore