Thread: Trying to find old plans of a Lowboy

Trying to find old plans of a Lowboy

This question is for anyone that collects old editions of Woodworking magazines.

Almost 20 years ago, I made a Lowboy from some plans that were in a woodworking magazine. Problem is , I don't remember which magazine they were in !! It was a 4 drawer Cherry Lowboy with queen anne legs. For some reason, I think in the magazine , it might have been made out of Tiger Maple. I used Cherry, instead. It might of had the ball and claw legs, not sure on that. I do know that the plans did not have the carved shell piece in the front. It might have been made by some guy from either Ohio or CT.

Does anyone know what magazine that was ?

Blog Entries
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/...-articles-fast

Try this link.

I have issues going back that far, but I'm not inclined to thumb through 20 years of old magazines looking for it. If you can find the edition
    I will be happy to copy the article for you.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-29-2017 at 8:34 AM.

not sure on the exact one that you describe, but Phil Lowe did a video on (what sounds like) a similar one in FWW a few years ago

Kind of sounds like you are describing the Connecticut style dressing table (aka. Lowboy) by Norman Vandall, Norman's example was built out of tiger maple and Norm was from Vermont, although his example has turned pad feet cabriole legs.

If the plan was published in a magazine it would be FWW, the plan I have used is in the book by Taunton Press Queen Anne Furniture, its a great book.

American Woodworker Issue # 38 Made by Lonnie Bird. Anyone got that magazine ?

Looks like some used ones for sale on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/American-Wood.../dp/B001Q4J8TS

Start on page 46 here.

OT, interesting to see an ad for LeverClamp. These were invented by a fellow named Chip Coffin, who was active on rec.woodworking back in the day. Unfortunately, he couldn't make a go of it. I was lucky to snag a couple when he closed out his inventory (I use them on my drill press). These are excellent clamps. If you come across one (or two), snatch it!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.