Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin T60C Questions

Martin T60C Questions

I'm a new owner of a Martin T60C. The dealer is brand new and did not know much about the saw... Training consisted of adding a saw blade to the computer and cutting 1 piece of wood to make sure it was working.

I was wondering if others with a Martin could answer a few questions:

1. Dado, I have a pair of Felder Dado stacks, cost almost 1100.00 But I do not see a way to put them on the Martin. And if I do, the throat plate is a 1" square metal piece?
    2. I was handed a second throat plate with a slight curved out center, what is that for?
    3. Does any know of any instructional video's on the computer. The dealer called support every cpl min to do anything, so looking to get more information on how to use it properly.

Thanks.

Hey Anthony ..

There is a collar on the spindle which is held on by hex screws.. you remove it to install a dado. I have a Hammer dado, I had to drill holes in it for the Martin Pins. I literally did it with a hand drill, works fine.

The narrow aluminum piece makes sense when you take the collar off.

The max width you can install is 5/8". I find the Hammer dado to work but be the wrong blade. I would probably sell your felder and buy something which you can use all of ..

Its a great saw. If you have any questions, let me know .. I will try to answer them .. Mine is maybe 8 months ? I dunno ..

I installed a set of Mac's Clamps on mine, best accessory I ever bought .. I use them constantly ..

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Includes-pics

When I bought my T12 I was supplied with a cd to watch that went through programming the shaper. Maybe martin has a similar video for the saw?

I didn't get anything. Its not that vast of software. You need to program the size each blade.. Do the calibration ..

Hey Rick,
    Not sure if the T60C or any Martin are really designed for large dado cuts? I think it is a European thing?
    For thin (7mm or less), I use the program feature on the saw. It is very easy and accurate. Your manual describes every programmable feature available.
    If you have questions you could call the N. Carolina Martin # and ask for Carl or Al. They are super helpful.
    Go to YouTube and there are about 6 videos all about different tasks performed using a slider. They are by Steve Rowe AKA Extreme Woodworker. The best thing is he uses a T60C.
    Lastly, Steve shows the benefits of a "fritz and Franz" jig and shows how he made his. The jig basically adds a ton of versatility to your slider.

That's where the old Martin's excell. Crank the sliding table out, thread on your dado arbor and get to it. I am having a few dado arbors made right now, since they are basically unobtanium

Thanks for all the thoughts. Steve is the reason I purchased the Martin!! He has great video's on training.

The saw was damaged in shipping, I must be cursed! (Dealer did not fasten strap tight enough, came loose and the buckle flapped against the frame for the 2 hour trip to the shop, major dents!) Martin has been great and is sending Al to the shop to fix it.

I also have the air clamps by Mac coming hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Using the computer will take some getting used to, love the rip fence adjustment handle on the side.

I did not get any DVD with the saw. At least the manual was in English, and appears to be fairly readable. You'd think some good training video's on the computer would be a smart idea...

I've never used the program feature for grooves.. lol .. I should read up again

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    That's where the old Martin's excell. Crank the sliding table out, thread on your dado arbor and get to it. I am having a few dado arbors made right now, since they are basically unobtanium
    That was a nice feature of the T75. I put a dado and shaper groover in mine a couple times and don't remember needing a extension. Maybe to go the full 50mm or whatever the width possible. My T72 will take about 35mm of cutter. It takes a few minutes to take the spacer off the arbor and change the plate. I have a 250mm groover we use for trenching or long tenons. Every so often we need tenons longer than what we can do on the shaper or tenoner. If you do the haunch first using the same fence setting or offset for a groove they come out clean and accurate. Good for one off but would be tedious to cut many this way.

Haunching.jpg
    tenon cutting.jpg
    Gate tenon.jpg

Can almost get 2" stack on dado arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Spotorno View Post
    The saw was damaged in shipping, I must be cursed!
    Sorry to hear this, Tony. Isn't that two in a row for you? Did you receive your replacement for the other machine yet?

Yes it arrived on Thursday. Brand new machine, sealed in a wooden crate like the first one was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Spotorno View Post
    ..You'd think some good training video's on the computer would be a smart idea...
    Anthony, you obviously have never bought an Italian machine...

Sorry to hear about the freight damage. Big sliding table saws are probably the most challenging machines to deliver safely. I can't tell you how many times SCM had to replace a machine due to damage to the crate the slider came in. 10' aluminum slider speared or run over by a forklift. Usually it's the shipper, not the mfr, who is to blame but it still happens. Hope it gets resolved quickly.

Erik

Some of freight terminals are just brutal. I've had crates show up without a nick in them, and I've had things show up where it'd be a surprise when you opened it to find any survivors. Animals sometimes.

Pushing 100 crates shipped in the last year, not one single issue. I build skids that are easy to pick and move from any side.