Thread: Slow typing

Slow typing

My ability to type here is pretty poor.

Letters don't take, now, I wait on each one to see. Then, I just re-type sometimes 3 times.

It's doing it now.

My keyboard is working well in other applications

(Windows 7 Enterprise)

Thanks,
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I feel your pain because I experience the same thing intermittently. I never know when it is going to strike and when I does I stop and close out.

Go into your settings and go to general settings - miscellaneous options - message editor interface and change it to standard editor... and it will work much faster

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Go into your settings and go to general settings - miscellaneous options - message editor interface and change it to standard editor... and it will work much faster
    Excellent I will try it
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    Funny this should come up now . My keyboard has been freezing off and on for months (Galaxy S4) Just moments ago I downloaded and am using Gboard. So far a little better The keyboard I've been using for 3 years or more wait till I'm done typing and press send, then it misspells everything plus I had to wait on it. The pathetic thing about that is I still type one fingered.

Well, am currently on home laptop and has never been a problem-will be back @ work on desktop next Wednesday.
    David

The 'standard editor' hack worked for awhile, but today, even with that, it's back to as bad as it was a month or two back when this problem first cropped up.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The 'standard editor' hack worked for awhile, but today, even with that, it's back to as bad as it was a month or two back when this problem first cropped up.
    Maybe you have another issue. The standard editor fixed my problems immediately and still works fine today. Win10, Firefox.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Maybe you have another issue. The standard editor fixed my problems immediately and still works fine today. Win10, Firefox.

JKJ
    Just showed up late last night, only site affected.

Seems to be working better now than a couple hours ago, though.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Just showed up late last night, only site affected.
    Seems to be working better now than a couple hours ago, though.
    For connection/response problems that come up suddenly I might test the URL with "ping" or "tracert", or if the internet connection itself is suspect a speed test might show it: http://beta.speedtest.net/ (I see about 30 Mbits/sec down/6 up, on my comcast connection)

For the other two, go to the command prompt ("DOS window") in windows and type "ping www.sawmillcreek.org" and "tracert www.sawmillcreek.org".

The ping should return a number indicating the speed to that URL, typically 30-50 ms but could be higher depending on the route from your computer. The tracert will show you where problems might be along the route. To understand what is going on, google "how to interpret tracert" to get links like this, for example: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/suppo...ead-traceroute Any bottleneck along the route can slow down everything.

It's best to try these tests when the connection seems good to see what the norm is.

I am NOT an expert. At one time I used tools like these and others every day but things have changed so much I'm nearly computer illiterate these days.

BTW, the comcast guy told me the other day they are soon to offer a 1000 Mbits/sec connection, probably for big bucks. Maybe gamers and companies and one-uppers will go for this.

JKJ

When I was an Internet Provider I had a direct fiber connection to an Internet backbone pipe. It was very fast and reliable but very expensive. In those days all of my customers paid for my service, its difficult to provide that level of service for free. We have a reasonable connection from my shop, its affordable considering that we can usually accommodate several hundred people at a time and at speeds that make the experience enjoyable.

The nature of the Internet is basically what John has shared concerning bottlenecks...basically its only as fast as the slowest connection. We do watch our server loads to make sure that it will handle substantially more traffic than we need so at least it won't ever be part of a performance problem. What happens more often these days than it used to is the minor issues arise and are often corrected before anyone can determine the cause, unless of course you sat at a console and constantly monitored traffic.

Trying to diagnose software and hardware problems as well of wide area network issues makes the job impossible. On any given day if we have hundreds of people who are not experiencing any problems that's about all we can expect at this level of service. Lately we know that there are some software issues with vBulletin which is why we have decided to move to another forum software package that we hope will be more reliable over the next 15 years.

Blog Entries
    I'm trying Gboard and so far working ok.
    It said it could steal info such as cc numbers. Is that true with all keyboard apps?