Thread: Grand Rapids Mi. Wood Working Things To Do?

Grand Rapids Mi. Wood Working Things To Do?

I am planning on going to Grand Rapids in August with my daughter to review Grand Valley State University and figured since I am there I might review the area. Just wondering if there are any good wood working places I should see in the area that any of you folks may know of? Or even local things as well? I have that week off and have as much time as we want to look around the area.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

The furniture making exhibit at the public museum downtown is interesting. woodcraft out near the airport. I grew up a bit south of GR. Fredrick Meijer gardens, the state park in Holland to walk the pier or do beach things. Founders brewing is a cool spot in an old factory if you like beer.

Thanks Adam for the tips in the area.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Southwest of Kalamazoo, near Decatur, is Hickory & Oak sawmill (hickoryandoak.com). Lot of locally harvested lumber by a hobbyist turned part-time business. Nothing fancy, but good stock at good prices.
    earl

This question gave me pause to reflect on how things have changed. Remarkable, that the city that used to call itself furniture capital of the world and was home to divisions of recognizable names like Sligh, Stickley, Stowe Davis and a host of others as well as Oliver Machinery and Tannewitz band saws now has so little to publicly offer woodworkers. Yes the museum is worth a look, and Eagle now has some of the old Oliver castings, and the friendly folks at Woodcraft are always welcoming, and Stiles is still a big player in the high end commercial machinery field; but so much of the history is lost. Forgive me for waxing nostalgic, I must sound like an old fart... wait I guess I am now an old fart.

The museum is well worth going to. I never knew anything about Grand Rapids woodworking history till I went to the exhibit. Plus they have a really nice old wooden carousel there. Not really woodworking but last night I went to a place called Grand Rapids tree top adventure that is really cool and worth checking out and is only a few minutes from GVSU.

How about the Holland Bowl Mill as seen on "How It's Made"?
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 07-03-2017 at 8:44 AM.

May be of limited interest for you but I've been meaning to get out to Grand Rapids because I wanted to see big sliding table saws. Stiles Machinery is out there and they've invited me out several times to look at the Altendorfs.

Again, may be limited interest, but that's what i'd do.

Thanks for some of the new tips and places
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

This going to stretch the "woodworking" angle, but it's worth while to mention.
    Just off the south border of Kalamazoo, MI, is the "Air Zoo". An absolutely first rate aviation museum. Easy half day adventure.
    Now the woodworking hook...
    In both the main museum and the offsite workshop you can tour also they have wooden ribs, wings and other wooden components of early planes. Really cool to see the fine tiny details that hold together a fabric covered, wooden airplane wing that will go 150 mph. And if someone is in the shop, they always make good conversation.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”