Thread: Super fine hairline cracks around character edges when engraving clear acrylic

Super fine hairline cracks around character edges when engraving clear acrylic

A customer provided 3mm thick sheets to have engraved with clip art style images.

He identified the material as Polycarbonate. I happen to have some like thickness Polucarbonate here so I ran a test on it and it laser etches a really nasty looking yellow.

I then ran a test mark on a spare sample he provided and the results were like you would expect with acrylic, but...

But here is the problem, I looked closely at the engraving and could see super fine hair line cracks extending out from the character edges.

I tried various settings;

Power 35
    Speed 300
    Interval .065
    In Focus and out of focus by 1/8"

Power 25
    Speed 300
    Interval .065

Power 20
    Speed 300
    Interval .065

Power 15
    Speed 300
    Interval .065

This setting worked the best. But when I turn the piece at just the right angle, I can see cracks.
    Power 20
    Speed 300
    Interval .065
    In Focus

I also noticed in general handling and DNA cleaning cracks developing on the outer edge of the material.

I have etched 1/4" Plexiglass which I presume was extruded, not cast, and never had this issue. At this point I am not sure what this material is and that is the problem or the issue is thickness.

Anyone have this type of issue?

acrylic_cracks_01.jpgacrylic_cracks_02.jpgacrylic_cracks_03.jpg
    Last edited by John Kleiber; 06-29-2017 at 4:43 PM.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

That is because it is extruded acrylic and probably of poor quality. You shouldn't get that with cast acrylic. It engraves a nice white instead of grey as well.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

It does appear to be extruded acrylic and such cracks are common; especially when dna is applied.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You didn't mention it but I would have to ask, did you try to clean it with Denatured Alcohol (DNA) or some type of solvent? I would agree, it appears to be extruded Acrylic not Polycarbonate, which as you saw does not cut or engrave well and leaves a putrid yellow smoke and haze on everything.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

I think I have found a reasonable solution. I will mask off the area and laser. Remove mask, perform a little minor weeding and its a done deal.

Definitely not polycarb, as others have noted, yellow smoke is the giveaway. The inevitable yellow stain is almost- well, not almost, IS impossible to remove!

Another way to tell if it's polycarb, hit it with a fiber laser... with the right settings, it engraves almost jet black...
    lexan.jpg

But stress cracks happen with cast too.
    This is a piece of cast mirror. But, it was pretty old when I engraved it.
    craze.jpg

-- and alcohol is the LAST thing you want anywhere near laser etched or cut acrylic!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-30-2017 at 1:30 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Masking worked to solve the issue. Cleanup was easy. Just dropped them in a flat tub with some mild dish washing soap and tape practically fell off.

acrylic_cracks_04.jpg
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

That looks great John!

I love transfer tape for masking for the same reason, soak in some warm dishwater and it falls off!

--too bad you can't do that with wood...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle