Thread: "Cushion" sheet vinyl flooring

"Cushion" sheet vinyl flooring

Armstrong makes a "Cushionstep" vinyl flooring that sounds like it would offer some protection against falls. Armstrong products aren't sold by any dealers local to me. Are there equivalent products from other manufacturers? Is there some sort of cushion material that can be laid down before a vinyl floor is put over it?

yes, we just looked at many brands, but after you're 40 and with each passing decade DON'T FALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gugel View Post
    yes, we just looked at many brands, but after you're 40 and with each passing decade DON'T FALL.
    What are some brand names - preferably ones that Lowes or Home Depot would sell in NM? Do the manufacturers call the product "cushioned" or is there some other term for it?

Sorry, I can't follow your advice about falling. I've already tripped once in my 60's and, falling from a standing position toward the ground , I landed on the side of piece of plywood and got minor rib fractures.

We're also in that age group where falling is a side effect of living and I was interested in your question. A few minutes on Google found nothing, which is unusual. I can see that a softer surface would be a better choice if you're going to fall but wouldn't it also be more likely to cause falls? I'd be very wary, especially if the claims are made by a salesperson half your age.

I don't see linoleum here, it's a little cushy. And available in lots of patterns. I think it is sometimes installed over a thin cush layer.

I found several boxes of flooring samples in the dumpster 1 morning. The box that went with me was sports flooring. Has samples with different thicknesses of cushion. Haven't found my use for them, yet. The quality is impressive.

Stephen,
    We have Armstrong cushionstep installed in our kitchen and like it. It makes standing for long periods of time during meal prep easier. It has a nice feel under foot. However, it doesn't have enough cushion to it where I would think it offer much protection in a "fall situation".

I think there is a balance that has to be achieved between something that feels right under foot so that it's firm enough to not be unstable for walking but soft enough to feel good under your feet. I don't think I would want to walk on sports mats if I was unstable on my feet.

One downside to the cushionstep is that an object with a sharp point (such as mitered moulding) will pierce the hard top wear layer of the flooring quite easily if dropped from a couple of feet (DAMHIKT).