Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass engraving

With all due respect, saying brass is no problem for a fiber laser is akin to saying water is okay to drink; as with water, it all depends on the ingredients--

this is a screenshot of a PDF list of grades of brass and bronze,
    brass-bronze spec pic.jpg
    brass-bronze specs.pdf <and this is the PDF

Some of these will lasers, some won't. Which will, which won't-- good question!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I would hazard to guess that the brass and bronze that contain non metal of a significant amount wont engrave well. Now what is significant? Who knows.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    John, what power are you running at? I wonder if those that were not able to engrave on brass simply didn't have the power needed available.
    Michael, I revised my video from last week and incorporated EZCAD2 settings along with the specific type of brass as per the machine shops original drawing. I will post it up shortly.

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Brass is not a problem for fiber. Here are some brass split rings I marked yesterday.
    The specs required light etching of a part #/weight limit to be place on each side diametrically opposite of each other.
    Once marked the machine shop will split the rings leaving 2 halves with the same mark.

Light marking is all I have ever done with brass. Tooled engraving would be far more practical for engraving where significant depth is desired.

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

I have brass that won't mark with a fiber at all. You can't make it even make a faint mark. The brass shown above is free machining brass. Some sheet brass that is used for forming over dies will not mark. I have 50 caliber shells that won't mark under any conditions with the fiber. I set it at 100% power and .1 on the speed and it won't leave a single mark. All the way from 20KHz to 80KHz.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

When I was playing with a piece of pure copper, I found that, while lower speeds/low freqs/high power work great for hogging out aluminum, with copper power is the least important of the 3 settings. The ratio of speed to frequency was very important. I forget the settings, but I do remember that when I did find settings that marked, if I went like plus or minus 5 digits with the frequency the engraving stopped. I also found I could change the speed/freq any way I wanted, AS LONG AS the ratio of speed to freq remained the same. Changing power had little effect at all...
    like this example (and this is where the spot diameter 'feature' is your friend)--
    First, I have speed set at 1000 and frequency at 30k...
    1-30.jpg
    -note the spot overlap graphic--

now I've doubled the speed and frequency to 2000 and 60k-
    2-60.jpg
    --and the spot overlap is identical...

This overlap seems to be the critical factor with pure copper, and I would assume brass--
    in this sample I changed the freq (only)from 60k to 65k, and note the overlap-
    2-65.jpg
    not a lot different, but whereas (to my eye) at 60k the overlap is slightly less than 50%, at 65k looks to be slightly above 50%-- this could be the difference between marking and not marking. Again, these aren't my copper settings, just examples. But playing around with slight speed/freq changes, and using the spot graphic as visual, you may find a spot where that pesky brass will mark - or not

--if you do, get out the calculator and figure out the slowest possible speed and freq ratio and enter those, and that will give you the biggest power spread you can apply...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Red brass won't mark either. I had a batch of Buck knives and they used yellow brass to make the ends but red brass for the 1/4" diameter pins that held it all together. It would engrave the yellow brass and not leave any mark on the red brass. I ended up having to make masks and sandblast them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott / Kev,

I guess I'm just lucky. Based on all the conversation about marking ammo brass, yesterday I decided to laser engrave a .308 brass case.

My settings were:
    Loop: 3
    Speed:160
    Power: 100
    Freq: 20

Hatch .02 @ 45/90/315

Since Kev mentioned spot diameter was possibly a factor, my Spot Diameter was set to: 0.050mm at the time.

I marked the phrase "BRASS 308 CASE" along the side and the only letter that had an issue was the "E". I assumed the taper of the case wall caused an out of focus issue and it was a little lighter. Aside from the middle part of the "E", the rest was a nice deep mark.

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Blog Entries
    If you can consistently mark any brass, consider your machine blessed. I engraved a couple of shell casings when this post was first put out. I thought i had it wooped. So I changed the the and try another..... Nothing like that first couple! Lighter, fainter, junk! Tried a couple of more and just decided it was going to be inconsistent....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Red brass won't mark either. I had a batch of Buck knives and they used yellow brass to make the ends but red brass for the 1/4" diameter pins that held it all together. It would engrave the yellow brass and not leave any mark on the red brass. I ended up having to make masks and sandblast them.
    Scott,

Is the red brass you are referring to sort of pink in color when compared to the yellow brass?

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas